Author Topic: Flat finish  (Read 2344 times)

DaveB

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
Flat finish
« on: February 15, 2010, 02:57:34 PM »
I tried Model Master flat clear acrylic get a flat finish on some cars that I have repainted and decalled, but I am not really satisfied with the results. There is still quite a bit of shine to the surface. Is there anything that produces a really flat results?

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Re: Flat finish
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 03:44:13 PM »
I haven't found anything that produces a genuinely flat clear finish. Dull Cote comes the closest, I think, although a possible alternative is automotive adhesion promoter:

http://www.autobarn.net/dupcp199.html

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2098
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 01:26:07 AM »
I have been told by a 2 hobby shops that the Testors Dullcoat Lacquer #1160 in a bottle , when sprayed , not brushed , gives the best flat finish . I think it needs to be thinned .
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 01:28:47 AM by up1950s »

Richie Dost

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1240
    • Modutrak
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 08:25:13 AM »
Dullcote is definitely flat.  If you're lazy (like me) use the spray cans, put it on nice and wet, and it will level itself off just fine and give an even finish.

Some people complain about splotchiness, but I only had that problem when I was trying to mist it on with the cans.  The nozzles aren't good enough for that, so just soak the model and let it do it's thing.  There's very little carrier, so when it evaporates your details won't be obscured.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5392
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 08:45:07 AM »
I agree with Mike.  The spray can Dullcote gives me excellent results.  On occasion I'll get some splotchiness, but in my world that's called weathering!  The key is to make sure the can is warmed up, and properly shaken (not stirred!)

;D

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 10:18:10 AM »
Some people complain about splotchiness....

If you use alcohol over Dullcote, the alcohol will attack the Dullcote and cause splotchiness or fogging.  Mike Rose uses that to achieve a fading effect, but some say it is hard to control because it depends upon a lot of variables, such as how heavy you apply the Dullcote, the strength of the alcohol, and how long it takes for the alcohol to evaporate.  If you re-apply the Dullcote, it clears up the fogging.

http://mrhobby.com/Fading.html

Ed

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 01:53:12 PM »
I have found over the years that the Testors Model Masters line of flat and satin finishes is superior.  The nozzle seems to atomize the spray better and the coats are more even.
It seems to have less talc or whatever the cloudiness may be.

Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 04:01:19 PM »
I found Dullcote cans somewhere online for $2.83 a can so I bought 12 cans. That was about 3 years ago, now I have 7 cans left.  I put it on thick as well, but it never looks thick when I'm done.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1240
    • Modutrak
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 10:28:08 PM »
I have found over the years that the Testors Model Masters line of flat and satin finishes is superior.  The nozzle seems to atomize the spray better and the coats are more even.
It seems to have less talc or whatever the cloudiness may be.

That guy who used to work for Testors said the formula is the same in both the regular Dullcote and the Model Master flat, but that the nozzle was finer as you noticed.  Since I put it on thick, I don't worry about the extra cost for the better nozzle. 

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 01:57:48 AM »
I guess it's 6 one way, 1/2 dozen another, use less with a finer nozzle on a more expensive can or more with a crappier nozzle on a cheaper can, both could turn out equal.  I've always been of the opinion that paint and final finishes have scale to them also.  Why compromise a good model with a poor finish?
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

grrco

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 09:13:47 AM »
I've found Polly Scale flat is superb for flat finishes.  It is just dead flat.  Sometimes hard to find.  I got my last batch through Sprue Brothers