Author Topic: Bored at work  (Read 2825 times)

Pray59

Re: Bored at work
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2008, 07:28:16 PM »
As far as plastic goes, it is not the only insulative material available.
http://www.professionalplastics.com/NYLONRODSHEETTUBE

There is also FR fiberglass, PEEK, and a lot of other more expensive materials too.  I would use epoxy treated toothpicks if I had to.

What does MTL use for the axles between their loco wheels? It melts after 30 seconds stalls shorted at the points of a DCC powered track.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 07:31:52 PM by Pray59 »

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2008, 07:40:59 PM »
What does MTL use for the axles between their loco wheels? It melts after 30 seconds stalls shorted at the points of a DCC powered track.

Probably Delrin or some engineering plastic. But loco wheels usually have very large shoulders to strengthen the axle; often these shoulders run right up to the gear. That's for the GP-35 design, anyway, which is based on their 70s era F units. Newer ones I have no idea, but usually the wheels are turned with a solid axle that fits in plastic sleeves molded onto the sides of the gear, so there's a lot of extra material there to make it rigid.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work, I'm just suggesting it should take some more thought to avoid known pitfalls, like those bad old Kadee N scale wheelsets. And what's it going to look like? If the axle is hugely thick, or the wheels are shapen oddly to compensate for the lack of strength in the insulating material, it might not be worth it from an aesthetic standpoint, at least to me.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 07:42:37 PM by David K. Smith »

71jeep

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 08:09:33 PM »
All you guys have said is true and is a big obstacle.Press fitting into plastic in this fashion is a recipe for disaster .
As seen in many locos over the years Atlas Bachman ect ect all suffer from the broken plastic gear blues at some point or another.

Not saying it cant be done with some type of material but to make it cost affective is another :-\

It would not be hard to make wheels specifically for the perpose you want but as David said to make them ascetically pleasing for use on all your rolling stock is another.

I need to ponder on ths one and see if I can come up with something.

Allen....

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +346
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2008, 09:48:11 PM »
Another beastie to consider is small wheels for N scale MOW equipment.
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 03:23:26 AM »
Allen,
Just had a though about blackening. Since you can have all the loose parts there why not try a blackening method that involves heat. I think this is how Atlas and other do their locomotive wheels. Either that or electro platting.

Would be cool to see pics of your machine in action. Of course only if your boss doesn't mind.  ;)