Author Topic: Altering brass car sides  (Read 4126 times)

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +802
    • TrainCat Model Sales
Re: Altering brass car sides
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 12:31:46 AM »
If it's .010, I have nearly a ton of scrap. No Really!! Just come and get some.   ;D
Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 11:02:30 AM »
Thnaks for the offer Bob... I can just see the scene at the border....

Canadian Customs - "Citzenship" ?

Me: "Canadian"

CC: "Anything to declare" ?

Me: " Yes sir, 200 lbs of scrap 0.10 brass..."

CC: " 200 lbs of scrap brass..... um.. what for...."?

Me: " Oh, I'm a model railroader and I bought these brass car sides; I need to cut off the battery boxes and flairs at the end to make them better resemble a CPR Grove sleeper car eh. So this guy, Traincat, you know him eh ? He had all this scrap brass and he told me I could get some to practice cutting on - nice eh ?"

CC: (turning head) "Hey Jean Claude, get security, I got another wing nut.... this one's trying to smuggle scrap brass into the country....." " Um, no problem sir; would you mind just pulling over there, getting out of the car and placing your hands on the hood of the vehicle please...... eh......"

I will get some shears and some brass sheet to practice on...... and avoid the brain trust known as Canada Customs............ ;D
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 03:03:31 PM »
I never said that the shears would be good for anything but the straight cuts that Puddington wants to do. Cutting the battery boxes and the flared ends are straight cuts. Their large size will help keeping the cut in the same "line" as the bottom of the car side.

My mistake. I misunderstood what Puddington needed to do; I thought he needed to make some irregular cuts to the carsides, and didn't realize they were all straight.

Nevermind.