Author Topic: Kato SD40-2 question?  (Read 1360 times)

bobcat

Kato SD40-2 question?
« on: December 07, 2008, 08:58:13 AM »
I want to pick up a Kato undec SD40-2 with the intention of painting it in the CSX Dark Future paint scheme. The model has the BNSF equipment boxes on the top of the hood. My question is, can that be removed without leaving a gaping hole to fill later? Just want to know what I'm up against here before I start.
Thanks, Bob

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7961
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Kato SD40-2 question?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 12:30:36 PM »

Look for the BN version (I think it's BN). They don't have all the junk up top.

I had looked into one for use as a CR starting point, but was quite turned off by some of the other features (ditchlight placement, lack of numberboards, were top of my mind.

It's funny you mention this right now too, since I'm mid paint job on the shell I traded you for all those years ago.

ljudice

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 04:22:56 PM »
I don't think those parts leave a gaping hole, but remember that some CSX SD40-2's have nose headlights, so they would be a good starting point for CSX/ ex-Seaboard units.

bobcat

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 07:05:42 PM »
I don't think those parts leave a gaping hole, but remember that some CSX SD40-2's have nose headlights, so they would be a good starting point for CSX/ ex-Seaboard units.

That was what I was thinking. I took the shell off today and it looks like those parts are added on top, not cast and trimming them off shouldn't be a problem.

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 10:50:29 PM »
I did two CSX YN3 out of the SF undec units. There were some small holes to fill on top of the cab and the long hood were the horn was. The nose headlight is in a little high on the nose for CSX units but it does not bother me and they came OK.
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.