Author Topic: Intermountain 60' Flat Couplers?  (Read 1184 times)

flight2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
Intermountain 60' Flat Couplers?
« on: November 24, 2008, 04:07:16 AM »
Figured I'd ask around to see if anyone happens to know what MTL couplers Intermountain used for their 60' Flatcars?  I had three show up from the states with broken couplers.  Somehow all three shifted during the voyage over the pond and slammed against the side wall of the jewel case.  I checked the MTL database and those particular cars aren't on there yet.  ???

On the other hand, my 2 IM CSX YN3 SD45-2's arrived in the same box (undamaged) and they are a HUGE improvement from the first CSX YN2 version I picked up last year.  Haven't run them yet as I still waiting for the decoders to show up.   ;D

Thanks,

Brian
Okinawa, Japan
I've never met a covered hopper I didn't like.... :)

ljudice

Re: Intermountain 60' Flat Couplers?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 11:34:47 AM »
Improved in what ways????

Has Intermountain fixed the flimsy handrail problems on their locos???

bobcat

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 05:08:17 PM »
I have 6 of the IM flats and I have one with a busted coupler and most arrived where the wheels have fallen off, probably from being bounced around in shipping. Not one of the best packaging of cars I guess.

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +115
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 05:34:35 PM »
Funny I had the same problem I ordered 2 and 1 of them had busted couplers and a bent brake wheel rigging and the wheels were
off and if thats not enough the car was crammed to one side of the case ??? I had ordered 2 of these from the earlier release
and had no problems.

Walkercolt

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 12:42:18 AM »
IM's "bulk packaging" from China leaves everything to be desired. I base this on "case quantity" purchases from IM vs: Atlas. International shipping is always a compromise between "safety" and cost. Even using lightweight packing peanuts adds to the volume of your shipments and adds to the cost, sometimes faster than weight, but IM needs better packaging IMHO.

flight2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 04:43:32 AM »
Improved in what ways????

Has Intermountain fixed the flimsy handrail problems on their locos???

Well, I didn't have to spend the better part of a day fixing the cab and getting everything unglued and stuck back together again.  The paint looks better, at least on the two that i got, although the blue is ALOT darker then any of the Kato or Atlas YN3 models I have. 

I didn't really expect changes in the handrails, but they are at least straight unlike the last set which warped in towards the back of the engine.

I don't have any other major complaints, but then again, I haven't run them yet..... ::)

Brian
I've never met a covered hopper I didn't like.... :)

PacRail

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 08:05:31 PM »
Nice cars once I put them back together. Besides the cars I ended up with one cracked lid, another with a cracked box and another box that had a hole in it.