Author Topic: Rust streaks and oil streaks  (Read 2584 times)

shamoo737

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Rust streaks and oil streaks
« on: November 17, 2008, 09:29:38 AM »
I need help. I cant do rust streaks and oil streak if my life depends on it. ??? I know that Tom is coming out with a book on how to, and I am going to get one, but I want to weather my car now. Please show me how you do it. If you can take some pictures on how you do it, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
John

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
Re: Rust streaks and oil streaks
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 09:49:47 AM »
I do have a chapter on Detail Painting techniques that has a section on Streaks.  It has 4 in-progress photos and an example of the finished model.

;)

shamoo737

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 11:38:44 AM »
Tom, thats fine, but your book is printed in the same country where the SD40 chassis is made, and I already waited half a year for the SD40. Still, i cant wait to get my hands on your book.
John

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2895
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 09:18:20 PM »
I do have a chapter on Detail Painting techniques that has a section on Streaks.  It has 4 in-progress photos and an example of the finished model.

;)

Shameless plug :)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 09:18:54 PM »
I think some sort of stencil would be a good start?

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 03:45:29 PM »
One approach is to dab on artists acrylics with a brush, let them dry partially, then streak them with a flat brush dampened (not wet) with some alcohol.  Be sure to keep the streaks very straight.  This takes some practice to develop the right touch, so that you don't take off too much.   Work in layers, starting with the more orange shades. After these dry, add smaller amounts of the darker umber colors, let them blend together when making the streak.

Nice thing is, more alcohol can be used to remove the acrylic paint if you want to try over.  Usually also a good idea to 'prime' the car with a Dullcote spray, then seal it again with another Dullcote spray when finished.

Caution: too much alcohol can craze the Dullcote.  Some modelers actually use that to create a "faded paint" look, but I've heard it can be hard to control.  IIRC a webpage by Mike Rose claims that re-applying the Dullcote will 'reverse' the craze effect.  You can use another clear flat finish if you don't want to go with Dullcote.  Other solvents such as windshield wash or Windex can sometimes work too instead of alcohol.

HTH,
Ed

sw1000b

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 05:55:56 PM »
Shamoo,
If I may mention this on this forum, www.modeltrainsweathered.com There is all kinds of helpful tips on weathering/rust/streaks, etc.

Butch/sw1000b

shamoo737

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 03:48:10 PM »
Ed and Butch, thank you for your suggestions.
John

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 05:31:17 PM »
Shamoo,
If I may mention this on this forum, www.modeltrainsweathered.com There is all kinds of helpful tips on weathering/rust/streaks, etc.

Butch/sw1000b

You sure can ..we encourage good modeling, no matter where it is found ..

shamoo737

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 11:34:58 PM »
Ed, thanks for your hint on the alcohol craze. It save me the trouble of repainting a engine.
John