Author Topic: Conrail coil cars  (Read 1616 times)

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
Conrail coil cars
« on: November 07, 2008, 06:56:17 PM »
I was just checking out this site and found some coil cars that look to be a fairly simple scratch build. There is another class
similar to these that the NYC had I seen a unit train of them on my Penn Central volume 1 DVD. I'd like to model some of these
they'd make a good addition to ones weathered fleet of cars. I like the G41 in the pictures at this link with the Pennsy logo
showing through! This would make a good weathering project. Does anyone know where drawings could be obtained of these cars?
http://www.trainweb.org/phillynrhs/RPOTW061022.html

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
Re: Conrail coil cars
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 07:11:12 PM »
Isn't there a model made of that in N scale? Or am I thinking HO.

David Leonard

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 07:42:41 PM »
Yes, there is (was) a model of the G41 coil car. You can build it w/ or w/o covers, decals for PRR, PC or CR. I built a CR version--it's an easy kit--but I don't remember who marketed it. I could post a pic, if anyone wants to see the finished product.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 07:52:55 PM »

David Leonard

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 07:57:49 PM »
I don't see any reference to the N scale kits, so I'm guessing the N scale versions are no longer available, but now that you mention it, I'm sure it was Rail Yard.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 08:06:51 PM »
They show a N scale version under customer photos.

ljudice

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 08:09:46 PM »
Unfortunately, Railyard is no longer doing N - and from what I understand, the owner is not too keen on discussing the matter...

bsoplinger

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 07:37:44 AM »
If you search through very old threads from about 2 years ago, I did a group buy of these. Ultimately ordered 18 of them, with most folks getting just 1 or 2 cars.

From what I remember most people who bought them never got around to building them. So if you ask perhaps someone would part with their kit and sell it to you.

And yes, the owner was extremely disappointed with the poor sales of that kit in N so he isn't interested at all in doing any more N scale.

He isn't even interested in doing more castings of the G41 kit, I know I've asked him a few times.

These cars even survived into NS days. I'm pretty sure I got around to posting pics of my NS versions way back when.

ai5629

• Crew
  • Respect: +195
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 09:26:14 AM »
I submitted a group of G41A photos way back when Gene Fusco was researching these cars for a possible N scale kit.  He ended up using one of mine, and I have a photo credit in the instructions.  I bought a six pack of these for myself, but I have not assembled them.  I hope to do so at some point.  Gene most likely will never do another N scale car due to the poor sales for this car (as others have mentioned).  I remember back in the 90's in RMJ or MRing, someone scratch built these cars in HO.  The artical incuded HO scale plans for use in scratch building them.  I started scratch building them in N scale using an N scale rule.  I never did finish them, but they seemed straight forward if I recall.  All of the parts were normal styrene.  Maybe I will get around to trying the RYM kits this winter.  Maybe not.  Either way, I don't want to part with them just yet!
Jeff Lopez