Author Topic: Walthers city busses in N to be done  (Read 3450 times)

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
Re: Walthers city busses in N to be done
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 11:14:33 PM »
But, what I really want is that classic city bus from the movie SPEED.  Sandra Bullock figure optional but highly desireable

In N scale. I don;t like my dreams that small. :-*

inkaneer

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 10:57:02 AM »
Isn't National City Lines the small bus company that GM, Firestone and Standard Oil used to eliminate trolley lines across the country?  If so it's really ironic that they would be memorialized by a company in the model railaoad business. 

FrankCampagna

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 11:09:28 AM »
These are among the buses that replaced trolleys. I believe they "dieselised" the Connecticut company's last traction lines.

Frank
"Once I built a railroad, made it run......."

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 11:54:28 AM »
TThe 870 was 102" wide(8 &1/2 ft) so it maybe closer than you think. :-)

Thank you for the verification that the prototype was 102 inches wide.

Using the digital calipers, the bus scales out as 114 inches wide along most of the body, but at the back, where what appears to be the engine air intakes are located, it is 118 inches wide. 

Giving it the benefit of using the 114 inches as the nominal width, the scale of the bus is just slightly larger than 1:144!   :o

Carter
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

3rdrail

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 02:54:52 PM »
TThe 870 was 102" wide(8 &1/2 ft) so it maybe closer than you think. :-)

Thank you for the verification that the prototype was 102 inches wide.

Using the digital calipers, the bus scales out as 114 inches wide along most of the body, but at the back, where what appears to be the engine air intakes are located, it is 118 inches wide. 

Giving it the benefit of using the 114 inches as the nominal width, the scale of the bus is just slightly larger than 1:144!   :o

Carter
If y'all are talking about Pirate Models busses, they  were or are indeed made in the UK to UK N scale of 1:148. Normally, this doesn't cause problems, as UK clearances are so tight that rolling stock is still smaller than North American stuff, but it sure shows up in things like containers...and models of North American vehicles.

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2008, 04:35:10 PM »
I'm looking forward to any buses... all I've had to work with are some rough resin castings that a guy in Quebec does.... not too bad but Micro Metals quality buses would be appreciated by Puddington Transit... we could use a new bus for runs between Samuel Ridge and Northhill..............

1970's GMC buses would be the best !

Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

PM-CN-IOX

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2008, 05:26:49 AM »
Sorry for necroing the old thread... but: the bus in Speed was a "Fishbowl", of which there were numerous variants... and in Canada, manufactured into the 80s - Canadian transit companies didn't like the look of the RTS that GM introduced in the late 70s (think the bus that span out in the beginning of Beverly Hills Cop), for which I don't blame them, that's one ugly bus. Busch put out a nice Fishbowl in HO not long ago. I'd say there would be three important models to make, in any scale: for the 40s and 50s, one of the Fageol Twin Coach models (to go with the GM Old Look Walthers is doing - I'd love a Fageol in N, the Sandwich Windsor & Amherstburg Rly had some in the late 40s, which is my period); for the 60s to 90s, the Fishbowl (and there's still a couple still in revenue service, in Gatineau, Qc); for the modern era, the New Flyer D40LF - these run all over the continent, and if the kit came with a choice of "backpacks" for the roof, a great many exact prototypes could be matched.