Author Topic: Athearn trailers  (Read 1493 times)

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
Athearn trailers
« on: October 17, 2008, 06:11:00 PM »
More early intermodal trailers from Athearn have been posted on the N scale supply site. I'm really liking
the B&O and C&O trailers. It's going to be cool putting together a 70's era intermodal train. I wonder
also if this means an up coming intermodal flat from Athearn? I have several of the MTL 89' all purpose
cars and a few z-sills from what was then Allen-curtis. :)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
Re: Athearn trailers
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 07:08:41 PM »
I think they showed smooth side ones at a recent show . If that is correct , and they do them , I think I could use them for 1958ish with a less than critical eye ....... I hope .

Richie Dost

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 08:04:17 AM »
A few paxcks of C&O, a B&O and a couple of Pennsy's for me. I know it sounds like a Rivet-counter question, bur are those close or right on for Pennsy?

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 07:12:05 PM »
I wonder also if this means an up coming intermodal flat from Athearn?

One can only hope. All three side varieties of the 89' flat are needed in N, in plastic.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

3rdrail

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 07:34:22 PM »
A few packs of C&O, a B&O and a couple of Pennsy's for me. I know it sounds like a Rivet-counter question, bur are those close or right on for Pennsy?

Andy, the trailers are very close to the PRR TrucTrain trailers, although not many were aluminum or stainless steel, the vast majority were tuscan red. PRR also had some side door trailers. Lots of those circular sheet metal Tructrain logos disappeared in the days immediately after the Penn Central merger. A lot of basements of PRR intermodal employees gained new decor.  ;)

Atlanticflier

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 08:48:15 AM »
I wonder also if this means an up coming intermodal flat from Athearn?

One can only hope. All three side varieties of the 89' flat are needed in N, in plastic.

When I last asked about this, I was told that they (Athearn) were looking into it, but not ready to make any announcement.

My opinion... YES, they are coming.........

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 10:06:56 AM »
When I last asked about this, I was told that they (Athearn) were looking into it, but not ready to make any announcement.

My opinion... YES, they are coming.........

Yes, but Athearn may not be the first to announce a Pig or GP 85' or 89' flat.