Author Topic: Don't look if you're waiting for Bachmann 44 Tonner  (Read 2507 times)

ljudice

Don't look if you're waiting for Bachmann 44 Tonner
« on: October 14, 2008, 08:06:36 AM »
From the Bachmann site:

Ooops - looks like they are still "whittleing" the masters out of soap or something.  This does not look that good, does it?

Glad I wasn't waiting for one of these...

« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 08:11:25 AM by ljudice »

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
Re: Don't look if you're waiting for Bachmann 44 Tonner
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 08:36:08 AM »
Could be alot worse!! We could not be waitong on them period. From that picture I would say I'll wait for Trainfest and see if they have a sample available. It just doesn't tell you alot Lou.

ljudice

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 09:02:27 AM »
Hopefully that's some oddball sample...

It looks like the old C40-8...

Allentown Hump

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 09:09:52 AM »
I guess these poor poor economic conditions have really put a tamper on Bachmann's sample department...
A-Town Hump

"I believe the technical term for you would be 'a$$hat extraordinaire'."

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2098
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 09:32:04 AM »
Love it , I can't wait till I get my 2 on order . Could it be tweaked , sure , and I hope they do it . But if this is it , thanks Bachmann for pushing the envelope of powered small things . Guys , this is a small small loco , and as such we should cut them some slack IMO .

Richie Dost

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 09:35:58 AM »
Could be alot worse!!

Kinda what I was thinking.  Is there a larger picture somewhere that I'm missing?  To me the only major things I see are the doors are a little crooked...I assume they scribed them by hand and probably in a hurry to get a decorated proproduction sample for the show.  Of course the handrails too but I've seen that on production shots of other locomotives before, so that ship has sailed.  I certainly don't see the "soap look" that you sometimes get with a resin model.

My reservation is still safe for now.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

diezmon

• Crew
  • Do they speak English in "What"?
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 09:51:10 AM »
pfft.. I'd take it just for the mech...

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 09:54:03 AM »
Looks like the handrails are drawn in MS Paint. ;D

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 10:19:04 AM »
It's gorgeous. I ordered 100.

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 10:54:03 AM »
No issue here until I actually see one, touch it and play with the thing..... Pre production samples often are miles away from the final ( more often than not they are "hand samples"...) so I'm not worried... bring em on I say !
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

ljudice

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 11:44:39 AM »
I hear on the final production models they're going to use a ruler when they carve in the straight lines...

;D

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 11:52:27 AM »
Speaking from experience, Bachmann samples are trasnported to many, many shows and get handled pretty heavilly by youngsters prior to be photographed for the website.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 12:19:54 PM »
Well, if we're drawing from experience, Bachmann will release these sometime in 2010, they won't have DCC, and the MSRP will jump to $170.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7956
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 12:38:31 PM »
This just brings up my issue with model photos from manufacturers.

What part of the fact that they NEED good photos to sell models don't they get? And how is it that they don't understand that if the photo doesn't make the model look the best it can, that they shouldn't show off pics of it?

I know Walthers just posted some really badly photoshopped (MS Painted??) photos of their HO GP15-1s that really made them look like turds, and that a bunch of people changed their minds about preordering them based on the shitty photos. It's not rocket science, and it doesn't really cost that much to get it right. It just boggles my mind.

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 01:20:55 PM »
Ed,

I agree, it is shocking.  Especially in this day of "pre-order it or you may never see one".  It's pretty bad when you have to go to N-Scale Supply's website to see what a model really looks like...and by then it's usually too late.  Maybe I'm just so trained to expect the worst that the Bachmann photo didn't even phase me.

I used to think Kato did a decent job of photographing their models, but lately it's almost hard to look at their ads...and I seldom ever go to their gawdawful website.

Even Atlas is guilty of this from time to time.  I remember seeing their ATSF Silver Warbonnet Dash 8 photos and thinking how poor they looked online.  Then I saw one at a train show shortly thereafter and thought "WOW, they had to try extremely hard to almost lose that sale."  To this day it's one of my best looking locomotives, in person.