Author Topic: Article hunt  (Read 1629 times)

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
Article hunt
« on: November 01, 2008, 12:09:06 PM »
I've grown tired of waiting for Great West Models to make their HO concrete wall sections in N, or for someone else to pick up that great idea in N and run with it, but still want to model a warehouse similar to the one Dave Davis created in HO in his Modern Monster article in the November 2004 issue of MR.

To create my own prefab panels, I am trying to find an article printed in the September 1977 issue of Model Railroader on creating modern concrete structures using casting, hoping the article will have the general dimensions I need for the wall sections and ribs.

Does anyone have that issue and access to a scanner and would consider providing me a copy?

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
Re: Article hunt
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 02:17:53 PM »
I'd like to see this too.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 02:25:18 PM »
errr. well...  Looking at the cover of that issue I know I have it, but I just dug around for 15 min. and couldn't find it.

If all else fails let me know and I'll look some more.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 03:33:22 PM »
OK I found it in a stack of RMCs.

3 pages, about 3 MB. Let me know where to send em.

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 04:57:33 PM »
>I've grown tired of waiting for Great West Models to make their HO concrete wall sections in N...

If its the same GWM that use to be in N I wouldn't hold my breath.  He's on to greener pastures and not likely to turn back now, especially with some of his earlier offerings still being around to remind people of how bad his designs were.

Who knows, maybe some day he will see the light but for now his attitude is moreso "N-who?"

The tilt-up structures you are refering to probably could be done fairly easily with styrene and I remember not that long ago of an article being published on it.  As for the article you are looking for, if all else fails you can likely get it from Railpub.  http://railpub.com

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 05:22:21 PM »
...and I remember not that long ago of an article being published on it.

Any hints as to where or how recently you saw that article?

Chris, I emailed you my email address. Thanks for finding the article. I didn't get to Timonium to look for the back issue because of my foot.

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

pedro

• Crew
  • Respect: +329
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 10:57:18 PM »
There was Nu-Line Structures making a concrete warehouse kit, but I see at N Scale Supply that it is back-ordered. The web site link appears to be a dead end, too. But they were out there.

http://www.nscalesupply.com/NLS/NLS-1001.html