Author Topic: Climax: A scratchbuilders Evolution  (Read 1145 times)

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +148
Climax: A scratchbuilders Evolution
« on: October 08, 2008, 12:08:05 AM »
after going though some old posts about scratchbuilds, I have come to realize that over time projects have a habit of going though changes, improvments, and of corse many MANY failures before you get to a happy meduim worthy of replicating.

so here is the real question: what is your story of evolution in scratchbuilding? how has things improved and changed to where you are now. The climax's pretty much is the pinnical of this for myself, so here is the Climax's story:

Started as a dream, witch woke me up in the middle of the night, I sketched out a rough image, and went back to bed, not remembering even making the sketch.

(not the orginal sketch, but a digital MS paint version done the next day to show a friend the concept)

I found the sketch after comming hope from work the day after the Midnight insperational sketch, so over a few days, I started working towards a working concept, well if you can call barely moving its self around as working.

this is a picture of the 3rd variation, still finikey at best.

Guts

Problems with this one: weak, no power at all, Binding, oversized, UGLY, and noisy.

so I continued on the project for a while, thinking about workings tweaking, and reworking parts, eventually I came to the conculsion that this concept just wouldn't work.

One of my friends turned me on to this site, and the A boards, I poked around here for a while, eventually meeting Randy, who intoruduced me to his Class B Climax, with game me insperation to rebuild mine, rather, start over on mine, using the now legendary Karo Shorty B chassis.

I played with a few diffrent worm gears, given that I didn't own any of the ones that Randy used, finally setteling on a worm from a old Bachmann "F-9" Diesel, gear and wheels from a old Bachmann 4-4-0. results was a great runing, but light weight chassis.

witch from there, was patched together with some other parts from my, then very limited, parts box to make this awefully crude model.

New stack, old crappy model, Still a long way to go at this point.

after talking with Randy, and a few other people, it was brought to my attention that the wheelbase was way off, so it got leignthed.

Replaced stack and paint brings us to this point, still way too light, and I messed up the eletrical pickup, witch resulted in poor pickup.

decided I could do better, so I started on the 2nd one. this time I tried to make a one piece frame out of styrine, witch failed, but again was a lesson.

This version Yeiled the first Brass bodied Climax.

I was pretty happy with the preformance, it was starting to look better, and retaining the Kato electrical suspension/pick up system, witch was randys sugestion, greatly improved the pickup, but power was still below what I was hoping for. so back to the drawling board again.

The Class C was the the natural next step, Ipmroved power due to more powered wheels on the rails, Finally a prototype I was happy with.

(Picture is of the 2nd class C)

the rear truck picks up no power, it is all traction tires and packed with lead, (Insert Tim Allen grunts here) witch fixed the power issues.

The success of the first class C inspired me to convert the 2nd class B to a class C

the final version of the climax, is this one, it now has LED headlights and run the best, Although, the first one, now knows as Mutal No 6 is still the most powerfull.

Now I have a full fleet of these little buggers, 4 total, 3 class C's and 1 Class B (Retired to the "muesum")

it is kinda fun to look back and compare now to the past versions of projects to the current versions.
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +2751
Re: Climax: A scratchbuilders Evolution
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 02:05:36 AM »
One improvement that may work for you is to solder wires directly to the truck tabs. This way you don't need to worry about the clips getting in the way. Plus with the wire soldered direct there is always 100% connection.

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +148
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 06:34:55 PM »
here is a video, sorry about the bad quality, it might not work right away, have to wait for youtube to finsh prossessing it.
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

Zox

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 08:15:35 PM »
Hmm, Cowboy Bebop music and not one picture of Faye? :) The locomotives are impressive, though. And no need to apologize for the cinematography--it was better'n average for YouTube train videos.
Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...