Author Topic: Pianting with Faskolor Lexan formulated paint.  (Read 2835 times)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Pianting with Faskolor Lexan formulated paint.
« on: October 06, 2008, 08:49:32 PM »
I've been wanting to try some of the paints used on RC cars for handrail due to the built in flexability but have shied because of the super bright color that are generally available.

I wen to my local RC shop and they had a paint I hadn't seen before (I haven't looked in a couple years) called FASKOLOR.  The red that they had was just a bit brighter than signal red so I thought I could mix it with some black to tone it down. The black isn't a real deep black which ended up being nice when mixing because I didn't have to be too careful with how many drops (squirts) I put in.

I will have to say I was pleasantly surprised.  Using the recommended 40+ psi (I used 50) and the medium tip on my VL, it went on very smooth and even with good coverage.  And clean up was as easy as any other water based paint I've used.

I'm going to give it overnight and test the adhesion and flexibility.

Here are some crappy pics. 

It's still a bit day-glo, I hope drying wil help this.

Jason

wcfn100

• Crew
Re: Pianting with Faskolor Lexan formulated paint.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 05:16:46 PM »
So 24 hours later, I'm very pleased, except with the color.  It dried much darker than it looked while spraying.  On the plus side, it dried to about what I thought the color should have been while I was mixing it - if that makes any sense.

But as far as the adherence and flexability goes, I'm sold.  This paint should hold up to most handling and flexing and even removal from storage cases (within reason).  I had to use a firm scratch to effect the paint.  Basically as hard as you think you'd need to.

I'm going to have to do another color test w/o mixing black as a control and then figure out how to match Caboose Red.

Jason

nscalesteve

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 05:40:16 PM »
try the FASKOAT which is color less, you can mix it with any other water based paint and you'll get the same "flexible" result...
...that's what I'm using since ages ago   ;)

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 06:07:13 PM »
What ratio would you recommend using with Polyscale paint?

I'm going to call the RC shop to see if they have it.

Jason

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 06:25:30 PM »
Good tips here.  Should this work equally well with, say, MT trucks?  Also, did you prep the surface in any way, besides washing?

Thanks,
Gary

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 06:40:26 PM »
Good tips here.  Should this work equally well with, say, MT trucks?  Also, did you prep the surface in any way, besides washing?

Thanks,
Gary

I soaked the handrails in water with some dish soap for a few hours, rinsed with cold water and let air dry for a couple hours.  So no, not really.

My local RC shop had the Faskoat so hopefully I can get sme more painting done tonight.  This might be nice for metal grabs too as they tend to flake on me over time.

Jason

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 07:22:33 PM »
So I mixed the Faskoat about 50/50 to the caboose red (which was at a good air brush consistancy already).

I kept the medium tip but had to drop the pressure to about 40 psi.  I also had to slow my passes down just a bit.  After those two adjustments, everything went swimmingly.

Maybe Steve will chime in with his preferred method.

I'll give it another 24 hours and in the meantime paint a shell and sil with just the Caboose Red for a comparison tomorrow with some (good) pics.

I wish this was one of the project on my to-do list.  :P

Jason

nscalesteve

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 03:40:28 PM »

that's what I do, more or less 50/50 with a little purified water added (the Faskoat is a littlebit on the thick side for airbrushing...) and that's it, no more chipping handrails again. the results are better IMHO if you use a Faskoat and Badger oder Polly Scale mix than Faskolor right out of the bottle...

...and something else I did discover, you can't store a mix, it will turn into jelly in no time  :-\

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 04:29:36 PM »

...and something else I did discover, you can't store a mix, it will turn into jelly in no time  :-\

Yeah that was going to be in my next post.  :-\  This is a one and done situation.  I hope to fininsh up this week.

Jason