Author Topic: Hey Lee! (WM H21a)  (Read 1353 times)

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
Hey Lee! (WM H21a)
« on: October 02, 2008, 03:22:19 PM »
Hey Lee,

Are these remotely proto? (the N&W ones are foobie!)

If so what was the in service time line?

Thanks!

Mark

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Hey Lee! (WM H21a)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 05:06:46 PM »
According the Jack Brown Color Guide, there was exactly one 4-bay hopper, no 90000.  It was leased as a "corrosion test car", which was lettered on the side just below the speed lettering.  The car was acquired in 1963, and originally wore the gray stone train scheme with black speed lettering.  Another photo shows it in oxide red with white speedlettering, with a service stencil showing Elkins 3-70.  I'm assuming that's when it was repainted.  It retained the same number, and continued to carry the corrosion test car stencil.  A third photo shows it in the Chessie scheme with a stencil showing EK 9-85, probably when it got repainted again.  Same number, but this time no corrosion lettering.  It's stenciled as a 100 ton car, with an inside length of 47'11" and a cubic capacity of 3209.

If I remember correctly, the first release that Bowser did was numbered 90000 and had the test car stencil.  It seems to me that it's a 40' car though.  Since then they've released more of them using the numbers for the 70 ton H-14 and H-15 classes.  The first one is close in that it's a 4 bay with the right number, but the rest would be serious foobies.  To date I have been tempted slightly to get some as fleet fillers, but I have yet to avail myself of them.  The 4-bay thing trips me up every time.

Like you with your N&W cars, I'm sitting by the phone waiting for Athearn to re-run the 70 ton cars in WM.  They're also not 100% correct, but the variance is very minor.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 08:25:24 PM »
Thanks man. I'll pass then.

The N&W actually leased some H21s for a short period, but surely not painted red.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 09:23:37 PM »
It may interest you to know that according to the Brown book, there was no class H21 on the Western Maryland.  The highest class listed is H-20, which were the 100ton stone hoppers. (3 bay, gray... think Atlas car.)  There was another group of 100 tonners purchased in 1970, #63700 - 63899, but these were not assigned a class by the WM as by this time C&O/B&O was beginning to call the shots.  I have a copy of the all-time freight car roster I can double check, but that's listed as a source for the Brown book, so I don't think I'd find anything different.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net