Author Topic: Good Neg, Slide, Photo Scanner?  (Read 1191 times)

CPBelt

Good Neg, Slide, Photo Scanner?
« on: September 19, 2008, 04:34:48 PM »
I hope this topic is allowed here. I figure I might as well ask the experts. What flatbed scanners do you all use and recommend? Since I have to buy one online, any recommendations on that end? (I know of newegg.) I figure I can flip for up to $200. Less is better of course.

Years ago, I used to have an old Visioneer POS, but it is where it belongs. At the bottom of a landfill.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Good Neg, Slide, Photo Scanner?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 07:54:18 PM »
I've got an HP 1310 all in one.  I don't think it's capable of doing slides, though, unless someone knows a trick I haven't tried yet.
But I got it for about $75 at Wally World...  It also makes copies, prints and can function as a fax machine...  It can scan up to 1200 dpi.
I got it a couple years ago, so I'm sure it's dated technology by now...  But I'm sure the replacement does more and is probably cheaper!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

3rdrail

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 08:51:50 PM »
I bought a Hewlett Packard 3570c scanner third hand on eBay a few years ago for $85. delivered. This is a full sized flatbed scanner with slide attachment. I bought it from a beauty shop operator that bought it second hand to put her slides and photos on the web and put it up for sale when she had finished. I've still got a lot of photos to scan, though, so I ain't sellin'!  ;)  ;D

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 09:52:48 PM »
I've had  HP Officejet 5610 All-in-One for about a year.  Xmas present from wife.  Does the same things that Lee's does but can't do slides.  If I ever find one that does do slides that doesn't cost an arm and a leg I'm gonna grab on to it.  It ain't cheap going to a camera store to convert tons of slides.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 05:24:50 AM »
For slides and negs, I have a Konica Minolta Dimage Scan Dual IV. It's a high-end personal/low-end professional unit that I bought several years ago. It was recently serviced and still works beautifully. As it was pretty pricey, and also now discontinued, it's not a recommendation unless you can find one used. I also do batch scanning for others on occasion; it processes 4 slides or 6 negs at a time.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 04:45:09 PM by David K. Smith »

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 03:13:56 PM »
I've used three HP flatbed scanners that had slide attachments and they all worked well.  I had to modify one because the light was a bit bright. If shipping weren't so high, I have one sitting unused in my closet right now.  :(

Jason

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 06:26:09 AM »
When Gregg mentioned the model number of the scanner he bought I looked it up on e-bay and found one. I didn't want to post a link in case some one here was bidding. Anyways it sold for $12.50!