Author Topic: Trainworx offering etched radiator screens  (Read 1585 times)

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
Trainworx offering etched radiator screens
« on: September 24, 2008, 08:55:12 PM »
FYI, Trainworx is offering etched radiator screen sets for the Atlas GP40/-2 - http://www.train-worx.com/details.htm
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +516
Re: Trainworx offering etched radiator screens
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 01:13:00 AM »
I didn't know they did etched details. The radiator screens seems rather pointless unless they added a second layer of etching with finer mesh behind the grates.
"My great and unmatched wisdom."

pedro

• Crew
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 01:18:32 AM »
Add a third layer for the shutters and we'd really be in business...

Walkercolt

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 03:12:12 AM »
This is like the IPMS discussions of "scale effect" VS: "scale fidelity". Most 1/144th aircraft guys use a clear plastic circle to represent a propeller. The 1/350th ship guys know their photoetched handrailings are a foot and half in diameter. The 1/700th ship guys know 90% of the "details" on their models are waaaaay over-scale. N-scale is smaller than 1/144th. Except for contest models or "display queens", alot of our details are better molded or "imagine-ated". Perfect example: The Key GS-4 vs: the Kato GS-4. Have one of each in the display case at the store. Take the Morning Sun SP Steam book and look at a GS-4 in "Morning Daylight" paint, and compare the two models. The Key has more details, and if you take a set of calipers to it the size of the parts are "scale", but the Kato looks "more right", and hold the book at a distance when the photo appears "N-scale" to you, and you'll pick the Kato everytime. When you enlarge a photo of an N-scale engine to 3-4 times life-size, often "less is more". From 2 feet away and running a scale 60MPH going by, how much "detail" is needed? ???

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 12:45:24 PM »
One of the important aspects (IMO) of scale modeling is not just on the 2D plane though, ie. measured accuracy. One of theMOST important to me is in the perception of depth.

I agree that along with the etchings, the requisite two additional layers would have been nice, but those are the "easier" to replicate. Not everyone can etch a grill, but most can cut a piece of fine screen (like that already available from Ngineering) to reasonably fit behind and make a 3 or even 2d replication of the louvers) to create a finer perception of depth. Yes, it may not be measurably accurate, but it provides a bit more "realism" to our little worlds.

I appreciate details that provide this depth, especially those that provide much of the necessary parts to do so, like BLMA fan etchings, but wouldn't it be easier if Craig just supplied a ready to mount unit on a plate to replace the entire assembly as on the prototype? Sure it would, but it would cost $$$ and place it out of reach of lotsa people.At least this could be a first step. Maybe Bob @ Traincat will see this, and decide to take it a step further and supply grill, screen and louvers (2d representations would be fine with me) and dynamic brake screens too on one etching, and for all available N scale models? Or maybe Craig will create all that AND fans on one etching?

I know normally I am one of the first people to point out a product's flaw, but I'm psyched abut this enough to go positive. For me, it's the last needed bit of detail I have been waiting for before I start tackling the superdetailing of my Geep fleet.
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

CoalPorter

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 10:43:16 PM »
When is Trainworx going to offer the drop botom gondola ? :'( ???
Positive Trading Post With JustTraincRaZy, Railhead, OldBillIndy, Freighttrain

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Proactive advocate of truthiness
  • Respect: +139
    • Modutrak
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 09:16:19 AM »
When is Trainworx going to offer the drop botom gondola ? :'( ???

They're in stock at Des Plaines Hobbies... so I bet everyone else has them by now  as well?
Mike

www.modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure...