Author Topic: Amtrak Paint  (Read 1202 times)

absnut

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Amtrak Paint
« on: September 18, 2008, 04:27:18 PM »
Which Poly S color best approximates the "silver" color on Amtrak locos?  Thanks for an advice.

Dick

Walkercolt

Re: Amtrak Paint
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 01:13:09 AM »
Polly Scale ATSF silver would be my 1st choice, then a mix of silver and Stainless Steel for a more "used" look. The older Polly S colors, I haven't a clue. Some people like the Testor's "Metalizer" paints(solvent based), but they may look too "metallic" for N-scale. I'm basing this on the "paint wars" the aircraft guys have in 1/72 vs: 1/144 and 1/200th scales for silver PAINTED aircraft. We won't even play the "natural metal finshes" wars... 8) PS: I like the look of Tamiaya silver too. Without any weathering, some people say any "silver" is too bright and approximates a "natural metal" finish of passenger cars, but it's your call there. That agruement surpasses "rivet counting" quickly, IMHO. Unless we're gonna display our tiny trains in direct sunlight outside, any color will be subject to layout lighting, and what "looks right" to you. Good luck with your project.

rswinnerton

• Crew
  • The Anti-Ed
  • Respect: +20
    • Luxury Rail Travel
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 08:35:35 AM »
The official Amtrak color is "Platinum Mist". I don't know if polyscale makes it, but it's out there.
Russ
Russ Swinnerton
Dr. of Ferroequinology
www.LuxRailTravel.com

absnut

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 10:39:03 AM »
Thanks, guys, I thought  I remembered the color as "platinum mist" but Poly S doesn't list it (or, at least I couldn't find it).  Not having had much input as to what color would be close, I'll go with the ATSF suggestion as I already have a bottle of ATSF "old silver".  It looks like it will pass.

Dick