Author Topic: Weekend Update 2008/09/07  (Read 6599 times)

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
Re: Weekend Update? 9/7/08
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2008, 04:16:45 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  So it's just a coincidence that the Liquitex Mixing White has lead in it. (I thought that was outlawed in 1978...)  Their web site doesn't say anything about lead, though it does have warning about spraying cadmium pigments.  I suspect the amount of lead is tiny since it's not the base pigment, but I'll research other brands too.

I have had very good results with your dust brew in minimal fade applications.  I probably went too fast in the heavier tests.  My brew definitely takes lots of coats too but now I barely pull back on the trigger to keep the flow down (with pressure in the high teens).  At those low rates, one can basically overcoat almost continuously.

You're exactly right about the flat finish of the Dust.  That makes an excellent substrate for the subsequent washes to "flow like oil".  I'm a bit worried that my brew is not flat enough for good wash performance, but I'll soon see.  If not, maybe adding a bit of dust to it will help.

You're also exactly right about the cooling effect of a white fade.  My first test of this stuff was on an old Atlas UP hopper with a rather extreme brown:

The lavender cast in the faded section is quite obvious, though it's much less so in lower lighting.  I'm guessing that a transparent admixture of the base color would help (if it didn't ruin the lettering color). 

Cheers,
Gary

rswinnerton

• Crew
  • The Anti-Ed
  • Respect: +20
    • Luxury Rail Travel
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2008, 01:23:40 PM »

Warrants or irate dad with shotgun?

More like our "N Scale" contingent doesn't feel the need to get himself a passport (Now very necessary to go to the land of hockey and the row-boat Navy). So he'd have been sleeping on the mean streets of Buffalo. Although there were enough abandoned houses I'm sure he could have found a place!
Russ
Russ Swinnerton
Dr. of Ferroequinology
www.LuxRailTravel.com

bradb

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2008, 02:48:16 PM »
More like our "N Scale" contingent doesn't feel the need to get himself a passport (Now very necessary to go to the land of hockey and the row-boat Navy). 

Actually that isn't true yet.  I've been struggling to get a passport myself for a trip to Victoria (to experience the joy of DREM).

While trying to get copies of my children's birth certificates (It's been deemed that I need 5 pieces of id to prove I'm Brad; I don't know why someone doesn't just read the label on my underwear - my name's right there) my ex, who just went to China by way of Canada, said you don't need a passport.  I was surprised to say the least, so I turned to google.

See here: http://www.explore.canada.travel/ctc/ke/things_to_know_2.jsp?cat=4004&localeId=16

+1 for N scale I guess.

Brad.

(EDIT: I should add that for air travel, you do need a passport.  But sleeping on the streets sort of implies ground travel)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 03:00:11 PM by bradb »

gshindledecker

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2008, 08:58:24 AM »
I had a bit of time to adjust my helix and transfer the pattern for the top transition onto a piece of plywood.  If we don't go backpacking this coming weekend, I hope to fit the transition then drill the holes for the 24 threaded rods that hold up the helix.  Can I just tell you how much I hate helices!   >:( 

I want to lay some track!

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2008, 12:52:20 PM »
More like our "N Scale" contingent doesn't feel the need to get himself a passport (Now very necessary to go to the land of hockey and the row-boat Navy). 

Actually that isn't true yet.  I've been struggling to get a passport myself for a trip to Victoria (to experience the joy of DREM).

While trying to get copies of my children's birth certificates (It's been deemed that I need 5 pieces of id to prove I'm Brad; I don't know why someone doesn't just read the label on my underwear - my name's right there) my ex, who just went to China by way of Canada, said you don't need a passport.  I was surprised to say the least, so I turned to google.

See here: http://www.explore.canada.travel/ctc/ke/things_to_know_2.jsp?cat=4004&localeId=16

+1 for N scale I guess.

Brad.

(EDIT: I should add that for air travel, you do need a passport.  But sleeping on the streets sort of implies ground travel)

If you're an American crossing into Canada [at a land border crossing] you don't need a passport, but pretty soon you'll need one to get back home!

It was always that way for Canadians coming into the US too, but that will be changing at the same time. Now everyone will need a passport coming into the USA. Back in April I was in PA for a short vacation along with my parents and I crossed into the US with just driver's license and birth certificate (I don't have a passport either).

Won't be making too many more trips into the USA in the future without getting a passport...

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5399
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2008, 12:58:58 PM »
I had a bit of time to adjust my helix and transfer the pattern for the top transition onto a piece of plywood.  If we don't go backpacking this coming weekend, I hope to fit the transition then drill the holes for the 24 threaded rods that hold up the helix.  Can I just tell you how much I hate helices!   >:( 

I want to lay some track!

Welcome to the thunderdome, Greg~!  Good to have another WM goon here, if it is Horribly Oversized...  If I may be so bold, you can check out his progress here... http://www.shindledecker.com/wmtoelkinsinthe70s
A little background, Greg and I were fellow travelers at the BSME back in the early 80's...

You're up in Philly, right?  Looks like another road trip will soon be in order...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net