Author Topic: West Penn 700-class interurban in N scale.  (Read 4137 times)

3rdrail

West Penn 700-class interurban in N scale.
« on: September 01, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »
Been a while since I checked out Imperial Hobby Productions. They've added some stuff. Here's something (a resin shell and cast metal trucks) that might be fun to fool around with along with a tomix mechanism:

Website is http://ihphobby.tripod.com/

The prototype was unusual in that it had no air brakes, relying on dynamic braking and magnetic track brakes instead.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 07:58:19 PM by 3rdrail »

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: West Penn 700-class interurban in N scale.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 04:49:58 PM »
That's the line that ran through Bowest, isn't it?
Cool model...
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024

3rdrail

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 08:01:45 PM »
That's the line that ran through Bowest, isn't it?
Cool model...
Lee
Dunno. Ran from Connellsville to Uniontown and Greensburg with branches. Subsidiary Monongahela-West Penn Rwys. in West Virginia also had two of the same style cars, 775 and 776.

Both lasted into the early 1950's.

160pennsy

• Crew
  • Respect: +183
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 08:25:54 PM »
I purchased the resin shell awhile back since the floor & metal trucks were not ready yet. Good to see that the entire kit is now available with those unique trucks. My shell arrived with all the windows filled in with flash, so cleanup was very tedious. I agree with the idea on using the Tomix TM-07 parts to provide the power for this interurban and have already fabricated my floor w/ keyhole cutouts out of thicker styrene. Also plan to shorten the universal shafts & modify power pickups per Randgust's methods for his Whitcomb. I have William D. Volkmer's Pennsylvania Trolleys (Volume III) & can provide scans of the West Penn logo, lettering & route boards to assist with getting custom decals made. Any one else interested? Here's one web site with mostly black & white photos of the West Penn:

http://davesrailpix.com/wpenn/wpenn.htm

Also found this map but don't see Bowest as one of the stops

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 09:21:37 PM by 160pennsy »
Paul Ohegyi
Current Member
https://nrmrc.org/

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 09:06:19 PM »
Yeah.  That would be it.  Bowest was southwest of Connellsville.  The line passed right across the B&O end of the yard.
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

asciibaron

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 09:43:44 PM »
Yeah.  That would be it.  Bowest was southwest of Connellsville.  The line passed right across the B&O end of the yard.
Lee

i have the West Penn book - if anyone needs some info and doesn't have the book, let me know.  my mom grew up in Everson, PA - the road bridge across the B&O and Jacobs Creek was originally a traction only bridge. 

at Bowest there were was Fayette siding along the south leg of the WM between the WM and B&O, between the crossing of the B&O and the WM - i don't see there being a stop in that area.

there is a great photo on page 28/29 of the West Penn book - shows a trolley racing a B&O coal drag - very cool stuff. 

this was my first train book.

-Steve
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 09:55:25 PM by asciibaron »
Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 11:26:27 PM »
Mine was "The Little Red Caboose that Ran Away"...  The car that was old and the car that was new, the car that was yellow and the car that was blue... ;D

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

David Leonard

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 10:53:37 AM »
Steve, what's the title of the book you have? I have the Pennsylvania Trolleys Vol. III, and it's not the same book.

Bowest probably didn't have an interurban stop. It's pretty much out in the woods, and about the only thing there was the WM engine terminal. The name "Bowest" is interesting: it's an abbreviation of "B&O West." There are other names in PA like that (and many other places as well): e.g. Wyano PA, which is an acronymn for the Y&O Railroad, the Youghiogheny (pronounced "YOCK-uh-genn-ee") and Ohio. While we're on western PA and names, I've also heard that the Monongahela Railroad (but not the River) was pronounced "Monn-on-GAY-he-luh."

Another useless trivium: the passenger terminal and carbarn in Greensburg are still extant and used by the city.

asciibaron

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 10:01:32 AM »
the book is titled "West Penn Traction"

CANFIELD, JOSEPH M., EDITOR West Penn Traction
Chicago, Central Electric Railfans Association (C.E.R.A.). 1968, First Edition. Hardcover. Bulletin 110. Featuring: West Penn Railways;Monongahela West Penn Public Service; Morgantown; Wheeling Traction System; Wheeling Public Service. 218 pages with historic photographs (some in color), maps (some as foldouts), rosters and diagrams. Errata page laid in.

-Steve
Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?

inkaneer

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 09:07:49 PM »
Steve, what's the title of the book you have? I have the Pennsylvania Trolleys Vol. III, and it's not the same book.

Bowest probably didn't have an interurban stop. It's pretty much out in the woods, and about the only thing there was the WM engine terminal. The name "Bowest" is interesting: it's an abbreviation of "B&O West." There are other names in PA like that (and many other places as well): e.g. Wyano PA, which is an acronymn for the Y&O Railroad, the Youghiogheny (pronounced "YOCK-uh-genn-ee") and Ohio. While we're on western PA and names, I've also heard that the Monongahela Railroad (but not the River) was pronounced "Monn-on-GAY-he-luh."

Another useless trivium: the passenger terminal and carbarn in Greensburg are still extant and used by the city.

Not only that but the sign that says, "FIRST CAR" is still there.