Author Topic: here's a layout with some potential...  (Read 3097 times)

Matthew Roberts

Re: here's a layout with some potential...
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 07:57:25 PM »
Dang steve. Okay. That was my second idea.

Zox

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 09:27:14 PM »
Starting somewhere around the 2:00 mark, the music is a "techno" remix of the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack. No kidding--listen carefully.

The video actually reminds me of the footage I shot on John's old layout with my camera car. Unfortunately, the car was having some teething problems at that point in its development, and I didn't get enough good segments to make it worth editing together. :(

The train-cam in the Orlando footage might be lead-truck-mounted, or it might simply be that their curves are broad enough that the camera "overshoot" doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure, though, that it's not a full curve-compensating design, since it never actually looks inside the curve.
Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...

ljudice

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 12:42:53 AM »
Although I was lamenting tonight that I have way too big a layout to ever finish, I really wonder how, with that many people THEY can get anything done either...

SquirrelHollow

• Crew
  • Grease Monkey
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2008, 02:03:59 AM »
The train-cam in the Orlando footage might be lead-truck-mounted, or it might simply be that their curves are broad enough that the camera "overshoot" doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure, though, that it's not a full curve-compensating design, since it never actually looks inside the curve.

I think you're right.  It definitely doesn't look like it is compensated in any way.  I think their curves are just that broad.
-Robert

Uintah Railway, Utah Railway.

FloridaBoy

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 07:43:57 AM »
First, to the Orlando NTrak group - congratulations on a truly fine layout which already has become a "classic" and it isn't even done or close.

Second, I play music often when I run trains.....I enjoyed that video and the music sort of pumped me up as it sort of matched the speed of the train.  I play bluegrass instrumentals when I run trains, as I have just learned to truly appreciate bluegrass since dating my honey in North Carolina.  I am leaving tonight for NC for a mountain hikes, stay in a cabin, do some train watching, and listen to some good old grass roots bluegrass music. 

Plus in Old Fort, NC just outside of Asheville, is one of the darn neatest trains only - newly opened - hobby shop right in the middle of downtown Old Fort.  While there you can take in the Old Fort Museum which has a bunch of train memorabilia and also their train museum which is quite obvious what is in there.  The downtown is pure Americana and I am always expecting to see Andy, Barney, Goober, Floyd and Gomer coming out of any store. 

I plan to relocate there someday soon, but it will be after I see that fabulous layout in Orlando. .

Ken "FloridaBoy" Willaman