Author Topic: Modern Modelling Scorecard: UP Clearly Rules  (Read 3618 times)

ljudice

Re: Modern Modelling Scorecard: UP Clearly Rules
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 11:49:50 PM »
Other examples:

- Kato does the SD70M in SP - a small buyer of the unit and only used on the I5 corridor
    Kato ignores the AC4400 in SP - which used them as practically their main engine on mountain
          routes (especially central corridor) in later years

I bet a run of the CSXT AC4400 in YN3 would have outsold the two new SD70MAC numbers!

The frustrating thing is - after getting trains running here again - nothing outperforms the Kato six axle locomotives - nothing!!!  (ducking for cover now)

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 12:07:08 AM »

I bet a run of the CSXT AC4400 in YN3 would have outsold the two new SD70MAC numbers!

The frustrating thing is - after getting trains running here again - nothing outperforms the Kato six axle locomotives - nothing!!!  (ducking for cover now)

I agree on both count but the CSX AC44 in YN3 would have to be a late phase with steerable trucks.
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

NSES40DC

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 04:38:59 PM »
Kato needs to speed up the SD70ACE and also make the SD70M-2's because NS/CN run them and I think it's needed for the modern modelers. I live near Norfolk Southern's S-LINE in Hickory, North Carolina and I seen alot f these SD70M-2's and even more ES40DC-NS/ES44DC-BNSF. I think kato will , but they need to make syre that they don't forget SD70M-2's. ;)

slickwillie

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 06:45:32 PM »
Then there are the Athearn SD70something models. Those, too, seem to favor BNSF and UP, but I don't know, I never look past those two anyways!  ;D  ;D

And then there are the 4-axle units, Dash 8's from Atlas and GP60's from LifeLike in particular. Or are these not regarded as modern any more?

And what about Amtrak? Or are they not (a) modern or (b) a major railroad?  ;)

ljudice

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 11:04:33 PM »
On NS, the GP60's still rate intermodal trains (or at least did recently). But the B40-8's were all sold off (or their leases taken up) by CSX.

NSES40DC

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2008, 04:15:13 PM »
I think kato and the other's are in the mid-northern BNSF/UP area and they probably figure that the quickiest way to get a bite on the rail line is to push them first and get $$$$$$ rolling then put out the other road names.  ;D

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2008, 04:32:33 PM »
Kato has left money on the table repeatedly (F7, SD40-2, NS c40-9w, etc) so I question any attempts to understand Kato's reasoning ...  :P

SirTainly

• Crew
  • Respect: +54
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2008, 05:30:51 PM »
Other examples:

- Kato does the SD70M in SP - a small buyer of the unit and only used on the I5 corridor
    Kato ignores the AC4400 in SP - which used them as practically their main engine on mountain
          routes (especially central corridor) in later years

To be fair though, Kato doesn't do the right AC4400CW, (High number boards with the vertical panels on the raised section behind the cab). They do have shells with both these features, but not with them together).

Walkercolt

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2008, 02:07:15 AM »
If you totally forget about figuring out what Kato makes, will make, and won't make, it'll save you lots of Prilosecs and Valiums. ;D Forget about WHY, and you'll save yourself by-pass surgury and blood pressure meds, too. 8) Since I gave up all hope, I feel so much better now. ::) I don't understand the Life-Like GP-60 regular cab. Santa Fe had nearly a hundred wide cabs, that got "BNSF'ed" and now "Swooshed", and GP-60B's, and the trucks are wrong. ???(I could live with the trucks, if I have to.)