Author Topic: An Orphan Passenger Diesel,but way Cool!  (Read 1385 times)

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +60
An Orphan Passenger Diesel,but way Cool!
« on: August 01, 2008, 01:23:37 AM »
  As a lover of all those early diesel paint schemes and a passenger train Fanzee ,Buff, NutCase ,(you should see all the Con Cor Ltd. Edition sets I have), I couldn't resist buying the Intermountain FP-7 diesel in C&EI "Chicago & Eastern Illnois" colors. Where else are ya going to find this paint job. The road if I recall correctly owned two E-7 A units and a bit later one FP-7 A locomotive. These locomotives powered their vest pocket daylight streamliner the "Whipporwill" (spell check name) . The IM model captures the dark blue body with orange stripes and lettering perfectly. The train if I recall consisted of about five or six smooth sided cars, a head end car, coaches and a diner. No exact models of these cars will ever exist, and no aftermarket Brass Side maker will do them. Con Cor smoothside cars would work as stand in's ,no Con Cor will never do this obscure scheme which was blue with orange stripes and letters like the locos. Later C&EI obtained some used fluted Budd cars from I believe M.E.C. which included several coaches and I believe two Tavern Cars. Lettering on these cars was in black, Con Cor Undec Budd cars could be used here. Just to try and find art work , let alone color photos to have custom decals or transferrs made will be next to impossible. The locomotive later was used in freight service along with their other F-7 freighters, so thats what mine may get used for,if I just don't admire it for its cool early 1950's scheme and never run it. Nate Goodman (Nato).Salt Lake, Utah.

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
Re: An Orphan Passenger Diesel,but way Cool!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 05:27:36 AM »
"The road if I recall correctly owned two E-7 A units and a bit later one FP-7 A locomotive... Later C&EI obtained some used fluted Budd cars from I believe M.E.C. which included several coaches and I believe two Tavern Cars."

Lets be correct about what the C&EI had.  First it is worth mentioning that the C&EI was the Chicago connection for ACL, L&N and FEC Chicago - Florida trains, with most of the equipment used in this very service.  The line also operated several vest pocket streamliners as well, though most were discontinued by the mid-60s.  The last one, the Danville Flyer, was carried over to MoPac and then to the L&N, discontinued around the time of Amtrak.

Passenger locomotives consisted of the following:
EMD BL2 1600 - 1601 R# 201- 202 (both equipped with a steam generator)
EMD E7A 1100 - 1102
EMD E9A 1102 (wreck rebuild of E7A 1102)
EMD F3A 1200 - 1205, 1400 - 1409
EMD F3B 1300 - 1301, 1500 - 1504
EMD FP7 1600 - 1609

The F3s were originally built without steam generators but with the delivery of the FP7s all the other Fs were so equipped to allow for plenty of dual service locomotives.  The BL2s had steam generators as built.  All had higher speed gearing to allow them to be used in either passenger or fast freight service.

The Whippoorwill featured one baggage - mail - coach car #304 Turkey Run, coaches from the 460 - 466 series and a dining car, #505 Shakamak Inn.  These cars were built by Pullman - Standard and delivered 10/46.  All cars were smooth sided.  #304 Turkey Run was damaged in a derailment in 1948 and rebuilt as a lunch counter - lounge - coach car, with corrugation being added under the window section so it would match other stainless steel cars.  The diner and coaches were sold to the IC in 1961.  #304 was sold to John G. Shedd Aquarium, Chicago, where it was converted to an Aquarium car named Nautilus.
http://rr-fallenflags.org/steamtown/jgsa-naut-adc.jpg

The C&EI's next passenger car purchase was for four PS coach - smoker lounge and PS four coach - smoker lounge blunt-end observation cars from the Pere Marquette, which were delivered to the PM in 1946 and sold to the C&EI in 1950, with the coach - lounge cars becoming 467 - 470 and the observation cars becoming 471 - 474.

In 1951 the C&EI purchased two PS diner - lounge cars from the Maine Central, MEC 15 Merrymeeting and MEC 16 Arundel which became C&EI 603 Merry Journey and 604 Merry Meeting.  Both cars were later sold to the L&N in 1959.

Also in 1951 the line purchased two C&O Family coaches that had been intended for the ill-fated Chessie train, 1700 and 1701, and rebuilt them to a tavern - lounge and buffet - parlor respectively.  (Both later were more or less buffet - lounge cars, though the "labeling" by the company varied.)

In 1953 the line purchased new 10 Budd 60-seat coaches, 475 - 484, which were nearly identical to three replacement 60-seat coaches built to replace damaged L&N and West Point Route Crescent coaches.  All 13 cars were built around the same time.

And in 1955 the last of the C&EI's purchases were made in the form of a new Budd RDC1 appropriately numbered RDC1.  This are only remained on the line until 1962, and frequently hauled on of the ex-C&O coach - smoker lounge observation cars, which had to be fitted with its own generator, heater and AC since the Budd car did not provide enough power to run both cars.  This was but one of a number of Budd Warrenty infractions where a Budd car hauled an unpowered coach (which Budd claimed couldn't and shouldn't be done).

The line also had some troop cars converted to express boxcars as well as MofW bunk cars.

The Budd RDC1 car is covered by the Kato RDC1.  I know of one additional car that will be coming out soon but can't say any more.  Also Union Station may have some craftsman style kits (not for the faint of heart... or the bi-polar... or manic depressed) that would help to cover some other cars.  I do know that they have a 4 Section - 4 Roomette - 5 Double Bedroom - 1 Compartment car, possibly more.  Plus about any accurate L&N, ACL and FEC cars could also show up as a part of the Chicago - Florida trains.

It is worth noting that there were several dining cars and tavern - lounge cars that were modernized heavyweights but, except for their six-wheel trucks, were appropriately rebuilt to streamliner appearance.  Taking one step further than Illinois Central's rebuilts, most of these cars not only received the sealed windows and a lightweight low-profile roof but corrugation under the window section as well.  They were some really nice cars.

If someone cared to send Lazer Horizons scans of the C&EI Pullman Library book of the various cars I am fairly certain that he would produce at least the smooth sided cars.  Others could likely be kitbashed from available stock.

Oh, and before I forget, the lettering on Budd stainless steel cars was really dark blue... not black.

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +60
Re: An Orphan Passenger Diesel,but way Cool!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 11:23:45 PM »
  Thanks for all the great information.  Nate Goodman (Nato).