Author Topic: Bidding war on a tiny piece of plastic  (Read 4733 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2098
Re: Bidding war on a tiny piece of plastic
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 12:31:06 AM »
The guy that sold it isn't a model railroader only seller . He sells most everything under the sun . He must be scratching his head at this seemingly undeserved windfall profit , and banging on the keyboard to see iffin he can play that tune again with another Z scale car .

Richie Dost

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 03:38:40 AM »
Does the -2 mean second run?  I have a 14303-2 in UP that I was going to put up.

3rdrail

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 10:32:58 AM »
Does the -2 mean second run?  I have a 14303-2 in UP that I was going to put up.
When Micro-Trains first went into Z scale, they made cars with both Märklin and MTL couplers. One had a -1 and the other a -2 suffix. Since I wasn't that interested, I can't rememeber which was which.

ztrack

• Crew
  • Working to drive Z to all new levels!
  • Respect: +233
    • Ztrack
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 12:11:33 PM »
The AZL Bethgons were indeed designed and tooled by Bowser. The first run, NS, Conrail and CSX were produced by them. Since then, AZL has switched their production to their new manufacturer in China. The second run of UP, BNSF and CHTT were produced by them. There are some differences. For instance, the loads have been enhanced in the 2nd run. Most future Bethgon runs will be coming from China, though we may see one or two Bowser releases.

As for the High Cubes, these were all China. All future rolling stock from AZL will be coming from the new supplier. As for the TTX High-cubes... well it is an accurate paint scheme.. but not quite for the body style released. They bodies are very close. In following the other Train board Thread, and knowing AZL's research, I can see how this happened. The biggest issue is that AZL went with a body style used for auto parts which has more ribs than the TTX High Cubes that were used for lumber products. Since the ribbing is slightly different, it throws off the printing. In would have been impractical for AZL to produce two different cars for the ribbing issue. The good news is runs like the NS cars will be spot on since they use the more robust high cubes.

Interesting enough, freight cars can be extremely difficult to research. They are not photographed as much as locomotives and finding detailed photos or reporting marks and such is nearly impossible. All manufacturers have to take some liberties and best guesses are common between all the manufacturers.

Rob
Z, turning N on it's side since 1972
www.ztrack.com
www.ztrackcenter.com
www.ztrackresale.com

Pray59

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 06:03:15 PM »
My box of TBOX cars says  "Made In China" on it. Also, they painted the roof white, when it should have been silver. I weathered mine so heavy that the paint scheme don't matter any more, just enough original paint shows through to let you know it's yellow with black doors.

As far as that gondola? Well, I had 1 of those and an SP in my box, that I stripped and reworked into NP drop bottom gondola's. I bet lot's of my MTL cars are collector cars, but by the time I am done with them they will look better, and be worthless... except to me! :D

-Robert

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 06:09:05 PM »
...and be worthless... except to me!

Same with much of my roster.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 08:50:01 PM »

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com

bambuko

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 06:59:03 AM »
just in case you thought MTL and ebay.com was unique  ;D
http://cgi.ebay.de/Maerklin-Z-87583-KWSTE-Bahnpostwagen-Set_W0QQitemZ300247815038QQihZ020QQcategoryZ81082QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
starting price of €185 (or $286 on your side of the pond  ;) )

Chris