Author Topic: When to dullcote?  (Read 1429 times)

Alcuin

When to dullcote?
« on: July 28, 2008, 07:45:57 PM »
I was reading through Dave Vollmer's excellent tutorial on weathering, but there's one thing I either missed or couldn't deduce: should the weathering process begin with a spray of dullcote before anything else, or should that wait till the last step?

I'm sure many of you have your own methods, so maybe you all could offer your opinions on the matter. Thanks very much.

Chris

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
Re: When to dullcote?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 07:56:30 PM »
It depends on what you are doing, and what mediums you are using.  99% of my models do not use DullCote at all.

You can spray it on before to give the model some tooth for washes, or after to seal paints.

Alcuin

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 08:30:18 PM »
I'll be using acrylic paints. Can't beat .99 a bottle.

ryourstone

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 03:17:35 AM »
Like Tom says, the flatter the starting surface the more wash will stick, and tint the whole model. When possible, sometimes I put the first darkest wash on while the surface is still glossy and before applying decals. This just provides relief around molded on details without darkening the entire thing. Then decal, another glosscoat to seal, flat finish, and continue with directed washes. One of the biggest pitfalls starting out is too much darkening, when in fact the overall paint finish should be lighter (but with more contrast).

This only applies to custom-finish models where you have the luxury on pre-fading the paint mixture. For a factory finish, you have to fade with an airbrush then be very careful about where and how apply washes. E.g. instead of coating the whole model, use a small brush to paint over just details with a thick wash that doesn't run all over then remove excess with a second clean brush. Heavy airbrush fade only works for cars with white or delux lettering however, since dark lettering does not seem to fade as fast as the base coat.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 03:31:49 AM »
I Dullcote everything, I got so tired of running out and buying a spray can for $5 that I found a mail order place with them for like $2.85 and ordered 15 cans ;D

Sometimes I give a coat in the middle of weathering, but decide it needs more weathering and coat it a late time. Also I do a lot of drybrushing so if I want to rub it down with a very dry brush I will first give it a 'dull" cote so that I don't rub through previous weathering.

So far I haven't had a problem with it.