Author Topic: Replacing Athearn trucks  (Read 2859 times)

Alcuin

Replacing Athearn trucks
« on: July 22, 2008, 12:15:25 PM »
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any experience with changing Athearn trucks to Micro-Trains? I have a bunch of Athearn bethgon coalporters which have couplers that stick out about a scale three feet. I thought I could just replace the stock trucks with Micro-Trains trucks, but they're not compatible. Athearn trucks are screw mount while the MT's have that plastic push-in thing, and it just doesn't work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

3rdrail

Re: Replacing Athearn trucks
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 01:37:38 PM »
Drill out the screw hole with a 5/64" drillbit and use the MTL bolster kingpin.

Alcuin

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 01:52:56 PM »
Drill out the screw hole with a 5/64" drillbit and use the MTL bolster kingpin.

I was hoping not to have to remove any plastic, but that sounds easy enough. Thanks very much!

Walkercolt

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 02:17:23 AM »
That sorta works. Getting the MT couplers to be "snug" on one end and have a little vertical "play" as reccomended can be tricky. I'm trying to find a better solution, haven't found it yet. I'm still having a love/hate affair with Accumates...I love to hate them, no not quite, but on my Atlas tankcars, I'm still losing trip pins, and that can cause un-needed excitement when they snag the ballast and derail your train. ???

Alcuin

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 09:28:48 PM »
On another board someone suggested adding the washers that come with the MT 1035's and using the same screw that's used for the Athearn trucks. I think I'll try that before I do anything more "destructive".

Chulvis

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +5
    • http://www.featherrivertrains.com
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 10:47:03 PM »
On another board someone suggested adding the washers that come with the MT 1035's and using the same screw that's used for the Athearn trucks. I think I'll try that before I do anything more "destructive".

Please let us know how that works out. That would be interesting, but I don't see how using the washer would solve the problem. Would be great if it did.

Ryan87

• Crew
  • Stay thirsty my friend...
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 11:02:34 PM »

Please let us know how that works out. That would be interesting, but I don't see how using the washer would solve the problem. Would be great if it did.

the OD of the washer is larger than the bolster hole on the MT truck and the ID is smaller than the screw head...
Swimming in a sea of Action Red...

Chulvis

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 11:19:18 PM »

the OD of the washer is larger than the bolster hole on the MT truck and the ID is smaller than the screw head...

I don't have any of the Athearn bethgon coalporters to test that out on, but I did try it on an Athearn PS2 2893 Covered Hopper and the washer would not fit over the bolster hole (pole) and the thickness of the MTL truck prevents the screw from going deep enough to secure the truck. 

Ryan87

• Crew
  • Stay thirsty my friend...
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 11:24:27 PM »
I don't have any of the Athearn bethgon coalporters to test that out on, but I did try it on an Athearn PS2 2893 Covered Hopper and the washer would not fit over the bolster hole (pole) and the thickness of the MTL truck prevents the screw from going deep enough to secure the truck. 

not sure about the PS2's but on the ex MDC Boxcars & gondolas it works...
Swimming in a sea of Action Red...

Chulvis

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 11:32:26 PM »
Yeah, the PS2's are newer tooling, so they could be different.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 01:29:46 AM »
What I've done on all of the Athearn cars I have is to insert a piece of Evergreen styrene tube using ACC into the hole of a Micro-trains truck, trim flush and using a round file, carefully get it super thin evenly all the way around so it slips over the Athearn post and use the same screw.  It does require some effort and patience but is the best solution I have come up with.  To make it easier, prior to cutting the piece off of the tube, I drill the hole out as large as possible to reduce the amount of filing necessary.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Alcuin

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 04:40:56 PM »

This is what "JDG" said over on Trainboard:

"Even simpler that all of the above. I converted all of mine to 1035 by utilizing the thin washer that came with the 10-pack of trucks. Remove the screw and Accumate trucks, install MT truck assy, slide washer on screw , and re-install screw. Mine work just fine."

It'll be a while before I get around to trying this out, but I'll be sure to update you on the results.