Author Topic: Weekend Update 7-20-2008  (Read 4478 times)

skytop35

• Crew
  • Respect: +701
    • Skytop Models
Re: Weekend Update 7-20-2008
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 10:59:31 PM »
looks good - i love the X's - those decals?

Yes, agree looks very nice.  How are the X's made?

Thanks guys. Yes, I used white decal stripes. Did the right slash first, then the left slash to get the "X" Or was it left slash, then right slash?  ;D
Bill Denton

Skytopmodels.com

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2388
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 12:12:22 AM »
We've rounded the bend to Kerman on The SP West Side Line. Here's progress from Sunday! (nappy headed track layer)

Bonus shot: 5th Avenue past Academy in Sanger, 5th Ave. crosses SP at Barr Packing
and gas em' up.

Proto:

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 12:28:56 AM by chuck geiger »
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7846
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 12:56:07 AM »
As promised, a closeup of the HTC => Flexicoil truck conversion:

I removed the traction motor hanger on the one end, the "snubber" shock absorber on the center axle, and filled the center holes with squadron green.

Next stop, details on the locomotive.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5348
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 01:35:24 AM »
I cleaned up some resin cast autos to fill up a couple of my MT auto racks, also improved some of the old 70's era Fords I've been accumulating by buying those crappy old Trix/Aurora/Bachmann autoracks that turn up periodically on Ebay.  Once detailed with a silver sharpie, some Micro Crystal Clear (actually gloss Mod Podge, a fraction of the cost...) and some paint, they don't look half bad.  I'll put up some pics in the morning.

Also built a couple more H-21 hoppers, which are awaiting their turn in the paint shop.  Let's see... I got Ed's SD-40 decoder installed, put another one into a BL-2 I acquired through a trade, and cleaned and lubed about a half dozen engines.

Man.  I need to get a job... I'm running out of projects from the stockpile!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

asciibaron

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 01:39:22 AM »
still trying to figure out what i'm doing - my wife has agreed to ducking under the layout to get to the storage area under the stairs but does not want me to remove the other wall which creates a storage area where the sump pump is located.  that leaves me with an 8x8 room all for my trains.

do i continue with my PRR Panhandle or do i rip that out and start in on a MILW based layout?

-Waffles
Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8454
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 08:58:11 AM »
still trying to figure out what i'm doing - my wife has agreed to ducking under the layout to get to the storage area under the stairs but does not want me to remove the other wall which creates a storage area where the sump pump is located.  that leaves me with an 8x8 room all for my trains.

do i continue with my PRR Panhandle or do i rip that out and start in on a MILW based layout?

-Waffles

After a waffle or two, I'd be thinking about which prototype best fits the space and what I want to do with my trains.

I'm trying to be objective in spite of my obvious PRR bias, but I'm wondering; is 8x8 enough to capture the rugged Western scenery and still have enough operating interest?  It may well be if you use effective backdrops.  But also, will your MILW amount to any more than a very fancy 'roundy-round?  I like the operating scheme you've developed for your PRR which includes online industry.  The MILW gives you great scenery but a very isolated stretch of track with not a lot beyond through-freights.

Only you can answer this one, dragonfly.  Now pass the syrup...!

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 10:43:19 AM »
Steve,
In 8x8 the only way you'll be able to adequately represent some heavy mainline action will be to go multi deck, which means 64 square feet quickly becomes 55 square feet to accommodate a helix. 

Perhaps you should wander over here to the Shore and poke around the bones of some of the branch lines.  Some of them were pretty busy into the Penn Central era, and there's lots of interesting scenery, although don't plan for any mountains. ;D

Check out Gregg's (3rdRail) layout... he's done some nice stuff with some Delmarva-type scenery.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

3rdrail

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 12:45:45 PM »

Check out Gregg's (3rdRail) layout... he's done some nice stuff with some Delmarva-type scenery.

Lee

Hunh?? Not me. My 2 foot by 4 foot portable layout is mainly vertical, and there's no finished scenery on my around the wall layout yet. The portable layout is supposed to be set somewhere in central PA. The around the wall will be a secondary line to a Great Lake.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2875
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 01:49:54 PM »

-Waffles

After a waffle or two, I'd be thinking about which prototype best fits the space and what I want to do with my trains.

Patapsco and Back River, or Canton RR

choochin3

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2008, 11:23:25 PM »
How about the Pennsy's Catonsville branch?
That would fit.

Carl T.
Carl T.
President of the Cape James Terminal Lines.

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2008, 12:31:43 PM »

Tasty,
My failing memory is saying Merced but its so very San Jauqin common.  Well done...
Support fine modeling

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2388
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2008, 12:46:50 PM »
Thanks JJ. The idea is to know right away what area is being modeled. back in the day sites like this were very common driving on US 99 between LA and Sacremento through the Valley. Dry, dusty, only vegetation is the agriculture.
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2008, 01:02:49 PM »

Lee

Hunh?? Not me. My 2 foot by 4 foot portable layout is mainly vertical, and there's no finished scenery on my around the wall layout yet. The portable layout is supposed to be set somewhere in central PA. The around the wall will be a secondary line to a Great Lake.

Now, Gregg, don't be shy... You're marsh/river crossing has all the trappings of the Eastern Shore...  I believe you've even said as much...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2008, 04:43:56 PM »
Thanks JJ. The idea is to know right away what area is being modeled. back in the day sites like this were very common driving on US 99 between LA and Sacremento through the Valley. Dry, dusty, only vegetation is the agriculture.

Looking forward
to the clumps of scrawny oaks that always seem to be planted way to close to homes and businesses.  That railroad approach sign could use a couple of bullet holes for accuracys sake.  If Prieser ever releases a 'hooligans' figure set your scene will be complete...

You are certainly capturing all the common and mundane features of the valley.  Without a signature location your layout is clearly the valley but non-specific enough to draw the viewer into recognizing the location as a whole.  If visitors have ever driven any portion of Highway 99 from Bakersfield-Sacramento, they should be able to see it immediately...
Support fine modeling