Author Topic: Microtains SD40-2 test shots  (Read 6355 times)

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
Re: Microtains SD40-2 test shots
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 10:56:45 PM »
Yeah the AZL looks great. That company really has it togeather. They start with high priced items then slid the price point WAY down while keeping quality and scale fidelity on par.

And what does MTL do? They exclude any other manufactuers from using their products. Maybe when the label becomes as insignifficant in Z as it has become in N they will realize the error of their ways.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 08:01:09 PM »
Will this temp anyone to enter Z scale:
http://www.micro-trains.com/cs-sd40.php

I'm sure the couplers can be made to look better than that and the fuel tank is on backwards, but other than that it looks pretty good. It is still a "wide body" the chassis is the same width as their GP35 and I've heard the cab is the same part from the GP35. Still looking at the photo it does look w-i-d-e to me.  Check out the handrails, they aren't etched now.

Yes it is definitely tempting.  Wire handrails/stanchions would be the way to go, plus maybe cab sunshades.  Doesn't look too wide in the photo to me, and a consist gliding on some really broad curves would look good.  Will the wheel flanges run on Code 40 rail, or any of the smaller ribbon-type "rail"?

Seeing it's MTL tho also makes it tempting to ask if the roadnames will be "Smokey the Bear" and "Scooby Doo Mystery Machine"  (just kidding!)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 10:00:28 PM »
Will the wheel flanges run on Code 40 rail, or any of the smaller ribbon-type "rail"?

Yes, it should have no problem on Code 40. Not sure about anything smaller as I've not got one to try, but I suspect it should be OK since the flanges ought to be the same depth as those on their rolling stock, which all runs fine on my Code 25 rail.

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 10:49:03 PM »
Aside from the fact that it will be waaaaay overpriced the one thing that would keep me away are those ridiculous couplers.

Since we have both a GP-7 and a 9 does anybody have a clue as to how much trouble it would be to chop the short hood?Any frame mods needed?

Rookie Z scalers need to know.  ;D
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

Pray59

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 05:20:11 PM »
Realize that in Z Scale, an under $200 loco is still considered a reasonable. Probably when there are as many Z Scalers as there are N Scalers, we will see lower prices.

When I switched to N from HO in the early 80's, N Scale cost at least 50% more than HO at the time.

The good news is that after a year or 2, there will be a few shops discounting the SD40-2's to below their wholesale just to move some, and that in itself will lure a few new people into Z. Also those that were lured into Z with low price GP35's will be able to add to their roster then.

Right now, those who dabble in Z find themselves honing new skills like etched brass work, kit building and scratchbuilding.

What I think is a reasonable start in Z (like say a 5 year project) is to build a small 2' x 3' layout, and try to scape up enough details, models, locos and rolling stock just to outfit that one layout. 2 maybe 3 locos will be plenty. 20 pieces of rolling stock is enough, just super detail them, give them the Tom Mann treatment, and enjoy. It's easy to stuff that small layout somewhere for several months until something new you want comes out, and keep messing with N and HO in the meantime.

I have HO, N and Z, and am just now surpassing my N Scale collection with Z. I have 5 Z-Bend Track modules, and 5 Sub-N modules, so layout space is split between those 2.

-Robert

RockandRail

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2008, 10:56:22 AM »
Since we have both a GP-7 and a 9 does anybody have a clue as to how much trouble it would be to chop the short hood?Any frame mods needed?

Rookie Z scalers need to know.  ;D

it doesn't take much to chop the short hood on the MTL GP9 as the chassis is lowered at both ends like the GP35 chassis, thus no frame mods are needed.  here is a picture of a CF7 i kitbashed from the MTL GP9 shell.   this was an EXTENSIVE kitbash which included shortening the GP9 chassis to prototype 30' between truck centers and combining parts from both GP9 and GP35.  it was not a simple kitbash but does show, i think, what can be done in Z.

dave f.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 10:58:05 AM by RockandRail »

nscalesteve

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2008, 07:01:25 PM »
wow ! very impressive work dave, bravo... !

did you use the GP35 cab and extended it on the rear or is the cab a scratchbilt one ?

RockandRail

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2008, 10:09:00 PM »
yep.  GP35 cab extended.  the hard part of the cab was cutting out the lightboard/lights in order to lift them up even to the top of the new roof line.   the CF7 cabs had a "topeka" cab (though none of them were built in topeka -- all home made in cleburne, tx) and these had steeper angles over the doors than stock EMD cabs.

dave f.

3rdrail

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2008, 10:10:34 PM »
MTL's new electric Z scale turnouts did not impress me as they have the same ugly long cylinder beside them as the N scaler trainset turnouts. Asked if they could be turned over like the Rapido switch motors. Eric didn't know...but tried to sell me four switch motors to experiment with. The SD40-2 looked real nice though, even in gray with a black cab.

nscalesteve

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2008, 10:28:07 PM »
The SD40-2 looked real nice though, even in gray with a black cab.

...did they actually change the cab - or are they using the wrong GP35 cab out of their fund ?

3rdrail

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2008, 10:36:59 PM »
The SD40-2 looked real nice though, even in gray with a black cab.

...did they actually change the cab - or are they using the wrong GP35 cab out of their fund ?

Nope, same black cab, but the "porches" were impressive - I expected them to cheat there too.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2008, 11:14:11 PM »
this was an EXTENSIVE kitbash which included shortening the GP9 chassis to prototype 30' between truck centers and combining parts from both GP9 and GP35.

Great work! Just one question... Was the MTL chassis accurate for a GP9? If so, then the truck spacing would have been 31 feet. So, you modified the chassis to remove .055 inches (1 scale foot)? That's impressive!

RockandRail

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2008, 12:29:20 PM »
yes, i removed about a scale 1'.  what i did was cut where the inner block bearing resided, thus removing the space for it and the need for it.   the shaft is supported by the outer block bearing on the one end and the slotted flywheel on the motor on the other end.   i used a band saw to make the cuts which took away the needed 1'+.   the trick then was was to reattach the end pIeces to the main frame parts WITH ELECTRICAL CONDUCTIVITY thru the new frame halves.   i did this by drilling holes from the truck section into the motor frame section, tapping them for #90 screws, and then trimming the ends smooth once the screws (and glue) were in place.   (i'd have to show you a picture, but i drilled the holes to the lower-inside of "the tower" (the truck-swivel space).

i've done two of these so far and have frames ready to do two more, because by reducing the truck spacing it gives me smooth running GP35 chassis to put under F7 shells!   i use 1/16" lead on the sides to fill up the space in the fF7 shell and to add weight.  the result is speed-matched, quiet, smooth running mechanisms for my F7s to which i can couple GP9s or GP35s (if wanted).

dave f.

P.S.   the cabs on the SD40-2 will be NEW so the plastic handrails will secure to correctly figured holes in the cab.   i know this because i had asked this question of joe previously and that was his answer.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 12:38:03 PM by RockandRail »

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2008, 12:50:23 PM »
i've done two of these so far and have frames ready to do two more, because by reducing the truck spacing it gives me smooth running GP35 chassis to put under F7 shells!

Yep, that's what I'm looking to do, too. Got a few GP35 units really cheap and will be cutting them down to go under an A-B-A set of heavily-modified F7s. I'm merging A and B shells so I get A's with as much of the better tooling of the B's as possible (particularly the fans and grilles).

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2008, 09:41:45 PM »
I know MTL has spare parts for their N scale items ,but can anybody tell me if they do for the Z scale? I would like to acquire a GP9 and chop the shorthood and use the GP35 cab on it if possible. (planning for the future,my wife says I can't leave anything stock  ;D)
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made