Author Topic: New FVM Car Announcement  (Read 2288 times)

Matt G

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
New FVM Car Announcement
« on: June 30, 2008, 05:45:17 PM »
Greetings Everyone,

It's time for new cars. First one was announced at the N Scale Convention this weekend. Have a look and Thanks for your continued support.

Best regards,

Matt
www.foxvalleymodels.com

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2210
    • Conrail 1285
Re: New FVM Car Announcement
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 06:19:22 PM »
Nice!

Now, here's an open question. What color schemes are appropriate for 1985?

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Oh, it's an Owl!
  • Respect: +530
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 07:14:40 PM »
Nice!

I think you're good for all three paint schemes.  If there is ever a SOO question, I go here:

http://www.sooline.org/publications/drawings/cars/cars.html

There are even a couple more schemes that would still be around in the mid-80's like the 'Multi-Mark' and the 'Speedlettering'.

edit:  FWIW, I always think of the speedletter scheme when I remember back to mid-80's SOO.  No doubt it'll be in the next release.

Jason
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 07:17:48 PM by wcfn100 »

Ryan87

• Crew
  • Stay thirsty my friend...
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 07:15:26 PM »
Nice!

All three Soo Schemes the red lettering came in 1977. black lettering would be most common followed by the brown and white with the red lettering being least common...

WC came in 1987 obviously.
Swimming in a sea of Action Red...

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 07:36:46 PM »
Matt,

Great choice. I hope you'll be considering numerous models by Pacific Car & Foundry soon. And consider adapting the removable (not necessarily opening) door concept to your wonderful models.
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

ljudice

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 08:03:15 PM »
I second PCF cars - and of course some wafflesides...

But on second thought the biggest gap in N scale right now is modern gondolas... 

pfs

• Crew
  • HPI 1975-?
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 08:20:12 PM »

But on second thought the biggest gap in N scale right now is modern gondolas... 

Exactly

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Oh, it's an Owl!
  • Respect: +530
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 08:43:19 PM »
I second PCF cars - and of course some wafflesides...

Tank cars.

Jason

ljudice

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 09:09:12 PM »
Jason - I'll always take more tank cars!!!  Especially modern LPG cars, molten sulphur, etc...

But for gons - we are in pathetic shape...

We have the Athearn/MDC thrall car, which is a pretty old mold - though not too bad. And we have the Atlas Evans, which is so distinctive that it can't pass for much of anything else. Beyond that, there are the three Hubert's cars - but I have not seen them for sale much of anywhere in years. Everything else is a much older prototype.

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 02:15:06 AM »

We have the Athearn/MDC thrall car, which is a pretty old mold - though not too bad. And we have the Atlas Evans, which is so distinctive that it can't pass for much of anything else. Beyond that, there are the three Hubert's cars - but I have not seen them for sale much of anywhere in years. Everything else is a much older prototype.

It would be really great to see the Atlas Thrall gon get shrunk down to N scale size...

Pretty cool to see the road-specific cars get produced in N scale, though. I'll definitely swipe some SOO and WC cars, hopefully there are more roadnames for these things. I picked up a few FVM cars this past weekend, and they're definitely worth the money. Even some of my HO "friends" looked at them and remarked that they don't get see-through brake platforms for cars at that price in their lousy scale. Keep up the good work, Matt.
Sean

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 09:31:47 AM »
Wow, are these nice cars!  I feel myself slowly being dragged into the 1980s modeling era...

Could the X58 be next from FVM???  :-\

ljudice

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 10:17:07 AM »
re: X58 - they are pretty similar to the Soo cars, aren't they???

ai5629

• Crew
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 11:21:34 AM »
I didn't want to be the one to drag the X58 into this conversation, so I am glad some one else did.  First, the X58 is a nine panel boxcar, whereas the SOO is an eight panel.  Also, different roof and most likely ends.  Second, I did a rough estimate, and the PRR built around 2000 of these cars.  I only bring this up since didn't the SOO build around 2300 of the car FVM is modeling?  Third, the X58's were seen all over the country just like these SOO cars were.  I would love to see FVM step up to the plate and produce an X58.  Myself and a lot of other PRR/LV/PC/CR modelers would be forever grateful for this ubiquitous prototype.  And at 15 to 20 a car, even the western and southern guys could have them in service on thier roads.  Thanks.
Jeff Lopez

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 02:25:46 PM »
Wow, are these nice cars!  I feel myself slowly being dragged into the 1980s modeling era...

Could the X58 be next from FVM???  :-\

No need to be drug into the 1980's (I mean I am trying to forget most of that decade..mainly the music), as the Soo Line started building these in 1963 or 64. So these are good from that time until present...you just need to keep adding rust to them!

As for this car, I am not an expert on car ends or roofs, but this one looks like it is one of the first rib side cars to have something OTHER than the corrugated ends (i.e. it has Dreadnaught?? ends). Thus with some sanding and new ribs, it may be possible to make this into a variety of other cars. The Soo Line RBLs spring to mind, but an X58 might be possible as well (I really don't know). The most common roof for this car was an X-panel looking thing, so that might be what is produced. Also, it should be relatively easy to add a grain door on these as well. All in all, a great, accurate car with many additional possibilities.

Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

ljudice

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 09:53:46 AM »
Am I mistaken or was the SECOND announcement scheduled for NTS?