Author Topic: ATHEARN F45???  (Read 1466 times)

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
ATHEARN F45???
« on: June 30, 2008, 07:52:44 PM »
So how would you all anticipate these to run in consists with Kato and Atlas engines?  I really like the way they look but my experience, in the 90's leaves me a little shy as their price is now in the same range.  That SF and GN sure look nice, but so does the Mil RD!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Walkercolt

Re: ATHEARN F45???
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 10:39:36 PM »
Honestly, if they aren't DCC equpited and "speed ranged", I doubt that they'll run well with Kato or Atlas or Walthers/Life-Like engines...nobody else does. Everybody has their own motor speeds and gear reduction ratios. You might be able to arrange the various engines in a consist so they'll push and pull each other acceptably...I've done it with Atlas and Kato engines, but it isn't ideal.

Chulvis

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +5
    • http://www.featherrivertrains.com
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 10:47:16 PM »
I would echo Walkercolt's comments and add that there is no way of knowing for sure until they actually arrive in shops and can be tested. Bring some of the locos you are interested in consisting down to your local hobby shop when they arrive and ask to have them tested together and see what happens.

Mixing analog locomotive brands is rarely a happy outcome. Using DCC helps but again, is not ideal.

3rdrail

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 10:27:15 AM »
Here are two of them at the DCE WGH show. They are quite heavy, but no track to test them on:

bobcat

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 05:48:04 PM »
I've had my hands on 2 of the HO Genesis versions and if these are as nice, they will have a hit on their hands.

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 10:06:47 PM »
Athearn
has a long storied reputation for quality in HO.  In Nscale they are improving but nowhere near the 'gold standard' that would have me placing an order immediately when announced.  The shells were nice two years ago and they look really nice in preproduction paint.  Still wanting one in ATSF pinstripe but will wait for the jackalls to rip it apart here before calling Chulvis...
Support fine modeling