Author Topic: New Digitrax Duplex Radio in Beta testing  (Read 4713 times)

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: New Digitrax Duplex Radio in Beta testing
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 02:41:28 PM »
Went and watched the videos from the Users Group 2008 meeting and I was impressed with the details of the duplex system. By the way AJ was explaining it, a lot of radio spectrum/testing equipment used for Wifi networks can be used to perfect the network, which will be pretty good.  I also liked that you could assign a SSID to the network.

Had some obvious "techy" problems with the videos though. I understand that there are a lot of people out there who know quite a bit about Digitrax and Digitrax wireless, but the video made obvious that the two major groups in the video experiencing problems with radio over 16 users, or complaining about interference that they may not understand wireless properties and wireless network structures and it leads to a lot of problems.  The point that really hit this home is the comments about the "Wireless Nazi" who at a certain event was assigning radio channel numbers to groups. Yet one group made the comment that they would not use the ch number issued to them by the event "Wireless Nazi" and would use what ever they wanted. And yet in their next comment they are upset they are getting interference from another club, and another using NEC. How can you bitch about interference when you are issued a 900mhz channel number by the event staff so that there is no interference with other groups, and you willfully chose to do whatever you want?
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 09:57:25 PM »
Ian,
 Not defending the complainer but there are known interference problems using a Digitrax 900mhz radio system in proximity with an NCE duplex radio system. NCE is 900mhz too but unlike Digitrax it is a polled system that tends to hog the frequency. Makes response on a Digitrax system slow to none. It's best to have plenty of plug in jacks available when an NCE radio system is in the building.
The new 2.4ghz radio should make that problem a thing of the past.

Having two layouts using the same Digitrax ID is just plain stupid. I've been in this situation and have polled several clubs at shows and gotten the same response from time to time. Some just don't want to change their ID, others don't know how. I'm usually willing to help but have also just walked away after some smart a** responses. When that happens, I just make sure our club has a unique ID. It's surprising how many culbs leave their ID set to  the default  0. That's the one ID that shouldn't be used by clubs at shows because the dealers are using it.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 01:17:43 AM »
Ian,
 Not defending the complainer but there are known interference problems using a Digitrax 900mhz radio system in proximity with an NCE duplex radio system. NCE is 900mhz too but unlike Digitrax it is a polled system that tends to hog the frequency. Makes response on a Digitrax system slow to none. It's best to have plenty of plug in jacks available when an NCE radio system is in the building.
The new 2.4ghz radio should make that problem a thing of the past.

Oh no need to defend at all. As yes it is a known "issue" I was just surprised at how many think this is a Digitrax RF fault, when in reality it is simple wireless fact.  You can really see the frustration in the AJ's face when answering questions. You can tell they really want to say "There is more to the Digitrax manuals and tech notes to all of this wireless stuff. You really need to go beyond what we have given you to really truly understand the whole thing."

I know some may say that Digitrax should provide this info, but why rewrite what is already out there on wireless down to the tech stuff? Digitrax should only have to white paper what they are doing specificly to the wireless for specific hobby specs.

Eh oh well.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1