Author Topic: off the deep end  (Read 4149 times)

asciibaron

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
Re: off the deep end
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 07:38:11 AM »
Hey, Steve, got a track plan suggestion for you. Nice rugged mountains around Harlowton... seedy, run-down industrial area near Tacoma...

glad i already built this last week  ::)

-Steve
Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 08:50:40 AM »
Hey, Steve, got a track plan suggestion for you. Nice rugged mountains around Harlowton... seedy, run-down industrial area near Tacoma...

glad i already built this last week  ::)

-Steve

photos?

asciibaron

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 09:21:52 AM »

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 09:55:23 AM »
Ya know, when Kato announced the GG1 I was surprised. Surprised they didn't choose a western road electric first, and of course the first one I thought of were the Little Joes, with a Hiawatha set behind it. I just love the side bar Cold War relevance of the Little Joe too, it's a great piece of history.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

3rdrail

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 11:12:54 AM »
Some lucky S.O.B. won an N scale "Little Joe" at the N Scale Collector banquet last Saturday night. Hundreds of prizes but I won none, nor did anyone at my table.  :'(
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 01:42:55 PM by 3rdrail »

asciibaron

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 12:33:41 PM »
there is even a model of the CMSTP&P sub station and bugalow available...  this is looking more and more like a slamdunk

-Steve

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2008, 02:44:19 PM »
Make sure that every canyon/bridge has a couple of derailed/destroyed covered hoppers at the bottom with a spilled grain load!  I grew up in Milwaukee in the 1970s and was always riding my bike down to the the Milwaukee Shops to look around (which I probably shouldn't have done, looking back on it), and never realized that my railroad went all the way out to the Pacific! I guess it was due to  the fact the the CMStP&P herald wasn't used much back then. I remember getting a copy of Trains magazine (June 1979) at the hobby shop with the cover photo and title "Too more mountains to cross" and was amazed by the photos. I have debated modeling this area myself, but just couldn't see making all of those trees. Instead, I chose the Milwaukee Beer Line circa 1972. The theme of the funky Milwaukee of the 1970s really appeals to me. It is a great choice.

Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2008, 02:45:43 PM »
The sign outside Steve's train room:

that is pretty damn funny!
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +580
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2008, 03:42:15 PM »
Most of my Milwaukee Road layout is set in the Chicago area and granger country but the "new" room features the Pacific Northwest.  This is a shot of Eagle's Nest slightly before completion and featuring a Shay just for grins.

The same area used as a photo backdrop for the Athearn Challenger.

I have been experimenting with non-operating catenary and the Eagle's Nest tunnel will get a liner.

Finally, a close to completion photo (more foliage was added after the photo and the fascia was repainted) of  a generic river crossing.

ascii, do you have any more info about the availability of the substation and operator's bungalow?
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

asciibaron

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2008, 04:14:47 PM »
ascii, do you have any more info about the availability of the substation and operator's bungalow?

that's Mr. The Baron....

i emailed Jeff at CMR and asked when they were due out... no word yet.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2895
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2008, 06:29:28 PM »
Roger .. are you reunited with your layout?

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +580
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2008, 08:37:44 PM »
Roger .. are you reunited with your layout?

Regrettably not yet but we do have an agreement that I get the house though I will be assuming the position and paying for some of my trains a second time-ouch >:( >:(.

Current hangup involves her digging into my upcoming pension with a golden shovel. As soon as we reach an agreement on that (soon I hope) my trains and I will be reunited ;D  Damn I miss those trains.
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

asciibaron

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2008, 10:11:54 PM »
Current hangup involves her digging into my upcoming pension with a golden shovel. As soon as we reach an agreement on that (soon I hope) my trains and I will be reunited ;D  Damn I miss those trains.

asciibaron

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2008, 10:22:20 PM »
here's the news on the substation:

Thanks for the compliment on the sub station, this was a one off model that we built for a client with no intentions of making a kit. We can build one for you if you like, I think the cost was about a thousand dollars. Its lots of time! We will be releasing our city structures in N scale, the first three will be available very soon so check the web site again in a couple weeks.

-Steve