Author Topic: Best Of Interactive Clinic Week 11 - Building a Website about Building Your Layout.  (Read 12172 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
But he cools it with Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator... Brawndo's got electrolytes!

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024

Steve, the pages are delivered darned quick. What's your hardware?

not too far off that Casio crack... it's a 450MHz Intel with 512MB RAM running a very stable Linux flavor.  nothing fancy.

-Steve

Geez. Makes me think about using the PC I was about to heave to deliver pages instead. Might be more reliable than my current host.

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
That is pretty quick!  What about your connection?  FIOS?

asciibaron

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
That is pretty quick!  What about your connection?  FIOS?

hell no 14.4 modem!

actually, it's Comcastic.
Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?

asciibaron

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
But he cools it with Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator... Brawndo's got electrolytes!

screw that piss water, i use...

Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?

Ntrainz1

• Crew
  • Respect: +87
    • blog
Thanks for all the useful information. I have been wanting to do a web site but lack of time and computer expertise prevented it. Please look at http://ntrainz1.blogspot.com/ for what I have completed so far.

Bob.

ñiao

For picture uploads I use zenfolio. However, they are not free (between 25 and 40 bucks a year).
Some measly pics: http://cgbier.zenfolio.com/

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
If anyone is contemplating a web hosting account for their websites, do not—repeat, do not—use midphase.

http://1-220.blogspot.com/2008/08/web-hosting-nightmare.html

http://1-220.blogspot.com/2008/08/hung-out-to-dry.html

midPhase stands as a perfect example of how corporations are losing their way, failing to maintain customer support—any host's number one priority—and allowing inexperienced, work-ethic-challenged "kids" to run critical systems. As if to underscore this fact, several times I've had to help the technical support personnel solve problems for me; if I didn't know my way around a web server, I'd be SOL. No longer are the inmates running the asylum—it's children in charge, now. Brats, most of 'em.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 09:19:18 AM by David K. Smith »

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
Some good info here (I've designed and maintain a few sites). But I have no site for my model trains.

- Mark

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +2064
    • PRR N Scale
This was very helpful.  In about an hour & a half, I created a website using Blogger.com:

http://prr-n-scale.blogspot.com/

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
Re: Interactive Clinic Week 11 - Building a Website about Building Your Layout.
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2010, 08:04:41 PM »
OK, a little over a year later....anybody have any new and/or improved tools to report?

I am mostly looking for an image hosting spot for starters.  I own several domain names that I used to have (static) websites for, back when I was consulting and had access to servers I could use.  I was thinking about setting up another hosted server and use my domain, but then I think maybe just using Google (or Amazon?) might be easier.  I eventually would like to set up some sites again but for now I'm really just looking for a replacement for the Trainboard hosting.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2010, 10:17:28 PM »
I have a coppermine gallery, which is pretty antiquated, but it doesn't cost much, and it seems to be bottomless in terms of capacity.

But Picassa seems to be the most versatile image site I'm aware of...  The free version has a pretty good capacity too, but sooner or later you'll need to buy the upgrade package.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2010, 03:26:55 PM »
I'm actually doing my hosting on Flickr, which is part of Yahoo.  Aside from the Railwire, I also make regular appearances on Model Railroad HObbyist and 5 or 6 Yahoo groups.  Flickr seems to be able to be supported by all of they, and I like its build in editor better then Picassa.  I don't have a stand alone website or blog for my trains - I spend enough time here as it is.  IF I did, however, I think I'd want some sort of cross-linked platform where I could make an entry in one place, and have it upload to several places. 
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B