Author Topic: New Kato Releases  (Read 2969 times)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +539
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: New Kato Releases
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2008, 12:20:00 AM »
I'll give Kato credit for updating their tooling as often as they do.  It's better than Atlas releasing phase 1 GP-30's from tooling that's over ten (twenty?) years old.  If you actually read the descriptions you'll that these locomotives are a not just re-runs of older releases.

I'm not sure what I'll do if they redo the CB&Q E8's w/o dynamic brakes like the PRR model.

Jason

sootower

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2008, 01:01:30 AM »
Wake me up when they announce this...
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/wm/wm7446afm.jpg

Kato has already announced too many releases for you Eastern RR fans  :D

It's time for them to produce a few of these:
http://www.gngoat.org/gn2584d.jpg
(and how about more than just one road number?)

Any bets on whose wish comes true, first?

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 01:19:04 AM »
  Yes on the surface it appears to be reruns, but as pointed out the tooling is upgraded, now both the E-8/9 shells and atleast the PA 1 shells with angled large numberboards have them lighted, and of course as pointed out no DB on the Pennsylvania loco. Yes I too hope that they get Tuscan Red better then on original runs. I wish they had done the GG1 also in Tuscan as some were painted that way,or better yet a Green E-8 (I believe they came from factory in Tuscan) unlike E-7's which were Brunswick Green. '"ust Showing off my (Vast? )knowlege of various railroads." How about Erie two tone green E-8's which would be better that the Life Like's to pull my Con Cor cars.                                                                                                                                      Nate Goodman (Nato).

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 09:20:52 AM »
I'll give Kato credit for updating their tooling as often as they do.  It's better than Atlas releasing phase 1 GP-30's from tooling that's over ten (twenty?) years old.

I'll believe that when I see it.

I have Kato E and F units, along with IM F Units - I'm not confused. ;)

What were they thinking with the handrails on the new SD40-2 tooling? The number boards on the long hoods are still wrong blah blah blah ... :P
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 09:28:28 AM by NandW »

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +539
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2008, 12:41:40 PM »
I'll believe that when I see it.

It's not like they're just starting this now.  The CB&Q release of the F3 had four new features, not including the DCC frame, that were not available in the initial releases.  The iluuminated number boards and dual headlights, have been used on all of the new releases; but the passenger pilot and non-dynamic brake have only been for the CB&Q version.

Jason

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2008, 04:24:53 PM »
Don't get me wrong - I like Kato. I have lots of their locos. But they are lagging on many fronts ...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 04:26:30 PM by NandW »

Chulvis

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +5
    • http://www.featherrivertrains.com
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 09:56:53 PM »
Wake me up when they announce this...
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/wm/wm7446afm.jpg

Lee

Sleep well, my friend.

Man I wish they would get with the program and become a manufacturer for the hobby.  Talk about leaving money on the table. There is so much they could do and do well. I just don't get it.

ljudice

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 10:00:54 PM »
It seems Kato would be better served using the "European Model" - having several separate importers who focus on specialty areas. For example, imagine Kato East, West and South????

Those SD40's also could be done in CNJ (one made into the Red Baron scheme), the Conrail SD40-2 rebuilds with white frame stripes, you could imagine high hood locos for NW, NS, SOU, etc...

As it stands I'd say Kato is hopeless. Our only hope lies with Atlas - maybe they will do the SD40-2, SD40, C30-7 (A???)...

SirTainly

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2008, 04:39:56 PM »
E8 - SP, PRR
PA - SP

I guess you had to expect this.

Jason

Not really there was only one SP E8 ;)

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2008, 05:35:25 PM »
E8 - SP, PRR
PA - SP

I guess you had to expect this.

Jason

Not really there was only one SP E8 ;)

So they got the SP E8 fleet covered. Chalk one up for Kato!