Author Topic: New Kato Releases  (Read 2965 times)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Oh, it's an Owl!
  • Respect: +531
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
New Kato Releases
« on: May 31, 2008, 01:28:18 AM »
E8 - SP, PRR
PA - SP

I guess you had to expect this.

Jason

WSOR-Man

Re: New Kato Releases
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 07:25:25 AM »
Kato releases become to be boring to me...
Dash-9, E8, SD40-2, RDC, SD80, SD90...okay, they are nice but when do they rerelease a GP50 or a C30-7, U30C?
Modern railroading is fun, but there are a lot of us which would like to see 2nd generation models, do you?

davefoxx

• Crew
  • "I like trains!"
  • Respect: +1906
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 07:44:09 AM »
Since I model the era of 1970-72, I would definitely like to see more second generation locomotives.  Unfortunately for me, Kato has largely ignored my railroad of choice, the Chesapeake & Ohio Ry.  Even though the C&O owned SD40s, U30Cs, E8s, and even RDCs, models that we all know Kato manufactures or has manufactured in N scale (but not in a C&O scheme), I am unable to add these to my roster.   :(

Dave Foxx
Rising Sun, Maryland

General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.
Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
A Proud HOer

choochin3

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 09:22:03 AM »
Apparently Kato seems to think everyone in the USA models West coast  railroads.(not the there's anything wrong with that)
I'm surprised that they are going to make a Pennsy E8.
I for one would love to see 2nd generation diseasels,particulary EAST coast roads.

Carl T.
Carl T.
President of the Cape James Terminal Lines.

keystonecrossings

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Middle Division Musings
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 09:55:30 AM »
From a marketing standpoint, the Pennsy E8 makes perfect sense.

They are doing the Broadway Limited train set, which ran New York City to Chicago.

The GG1 electric pulled it from NYC to Harrisburg, Pa. But that's where electrification ended. Then K4s took over in steam days, and E units in diesel days.

The Kato E8's that were done many, many years ago were among the best locos in my N scale fleet... alongside their PA/PB's and the IM F units.

What I haven't heard yet, is if these will be in DGLE (Brunswick Green) or Tuscan Red. If Tuscan Red, I have to hope they have improved on the color. As well as the first runs ran, they were more of an orange than red.
Jerry Britton, PRRT&HS #6111
PRR Middle Division in HO Scale - http://jbritton.pennsyrr.com
Keystone Crossings - http://pennsyrr.com

3rdrail

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 10:56:20 AM »
From a marketing standpoint, the Pennsy E8 makes perfect sense.

They are doing the Broadway Limited train set, which ran New York City to Chicago.

The GG1 electric pulled it from NYC to Harrisburg, Pa. But that's where electrification ended. Then K4s took over in steam days, and E units in diesel days.

The Kato E8's that were done many, many years ago were among the best locos in my N scale fleet... alongside their PA/PB's and the IM F units.

What I haven't heard yet, is if these will be in DGLE (Brunswick Green) or Tuscan Red. If Tuscan Red, I have to hope they have improved on the color. As well as the first runs ran, they were more of an orange than red.

The photographs on Kato's website show it in Tuscan Red. Looks about the color of Bennett's.

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 11:40:11 AM »
Also shows the 5 stripe version.

tokenbrit

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 11:46:46 AM »
June announcement includes a Santa Fe passenger car, Regal Spa (as an add-on car to the Broadway Ltd (according to TexNrails))

From a trainweb article:
#17/18, Super Chief, was a crack sleeper train interchanging sleepers with other roads in the 50s. After 1954, coast to coast sleeping cars on this train were protected by Santa Fe's stainless steel cars...
(Regal Ruby, River, Spa, City, Inn, Ring) PRR 4-4-2 from New York (Broadway Ltd.) via Chicago to LA.

So Regal Spa could have / would have run through from East- to West-Coast; NY -> Chicago -> LA, so equally valid as an add-on car for the Super Chief - am I reading/researching that right?

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +185
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 01:31:53 PM »

Kato has really screwed up PRR red in the past. The photo says original models shown - maybe they will get the red better this time.

But wow that tooling looks dated now.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 01:34:12 PM by NandW »

ljudice

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 01:51:10 PM »
I'm still looking - where was the Conrail SD40-2 that I was hoping for this month?

keystonecrossings

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Middle Division Musings
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 03:05:00 PM »
As of 1954, the PRR-SF run-through cars on the Broadway Limited were  "Regal Crest", "Regal Lane", "Regal Lark", "Regal Manor", "Regal Creek" and "Regal Spa".

It took 6 cars to protect 2 Broadway's (one each direction) given the length of the trip to the left coast.
Jerry Britton, PRRT&HS #6111
PRR Middle Division in HO Scale - http://jbritton.pennsyrr.com
Keystone Crossings - http://pennsyrr.com

sootower

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 04:26:42 PM »
Kato releases become to be boring to me...
Dash-9, E8, SD40-2, RDC, SD80, SD90...okay, they are nice but when do they rerelease a GP50 or a C30-7, U30C?
Modern railroading is fun, but there are a lot of us which would like to see 2nd generation models, do you?

"2nd generation"?!  You don't consider GP18, GP20, GP30, GP35, GP38, GP40, SD24, SD35, SD40, SD45, U25B, U30Cs, all to be second generation diesels?

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +236
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 11:20:49 PM »
Kato................."yawn"..................................... :(

Kato's releases are of no interest to me - haven't been for I don't know how long.............

Glad some of you are happy - I couldn't care less about what they release of late - it's just re-runs of the old stuff and/or new passenger trains that "might" be right ( SP - yes, GN - no....)
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1414
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 11:29:37 PM »
Wake me up when they announce this...
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/wm/wm7446afm.jpg

Until then, I'll be waiting by the phone and holding my breath for Intermountain to deliver my F units....

Lee
Route of the Alpha Jets

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 11:39:42 PM »
Predictable
as rain on a weekend.  I don't look to Kato for inspiration because the repeated disappiontments were causing hallucinations like that PC&F boxcar announcement I'm almost certain that I saw...
Support fine modeling