Author Topic: If only US manufacturers could make steam locos of this quality!  (Read 1323 times)

3rdrail

Read this:
http://www.dapol.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=252&Itemid=65

Not only is it a beautiful model, but it has RP25 wheels and took over 4 minutes to move its own length.

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +60
Re: If only US manufacturers could make steam locos of this quality!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 08:07:19 PM »
I read this:

"Over a measured distance of its own length it took 4 minutes and 40 seconds to complete this task. Is this a record?"

I don't know about N scale, but back in the very late 1960s, I had an Athearn blue box HO F7 that took one minute of constant but very slow motion to travel 1-1/2 railroad ties. I was amazed.
Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +2776
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 08:17:21 PM »
Looks like the motor is in the tender... leaving a bunch of room for weight and proper gear reduction. Someone should laser scribe that into a wooden baseball bat and hit Bachmann over the head with it.

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 10:05:53 PM »
American companies could do the same if modelers wouldn't mind seeing the price of their models double.  And before I applaud the idea of how slow it ran I would have to ask what type of power supply was used, which can make or brake (pun intended) any slow speed record.

David Leonard

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 08:42:32 AM »
This can only be a good development, but I find the tender drive visually annoying. Isn't there any way to put the drive shaft where the stoker would be?

3rdrail

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 09:09:55 AM »
This can only be a good development, but I find the tender drive visually annoying. Isn't there any way to put the drive shaft where the stoker would be?

You would have to add gearboxes in both the tender and locomotive to do that. Otherwise the shaft would not align with the armature on one end and the worm on the other. Would add considerably to the cost, I fear.

Lucas in Alaska

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 09:26:47 AM »
Before I backdated my collection I had two Kato SD-45's that take 10 min. to travel 8 in. I was using an MRC power supply. I was just amazed that that could be done and those engines are what hooked me on N scale.

Now I hope to just get a smooth slower speed motion out of my engines. I miss those SD-45's.

Lucas