Author Topic: How much do you spend on MR in a month?  (Read 3709 times)

Walkercolt

Re: How much do you spend on MR in a month?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 01:18:08 AM »
In the last two years, I've cut way back on spending. Many great new products, but one's I don't need, and can't even work into my "plan". Don't run UP, SP, so I've not spent on them. Haven't seen that many things I "just gotta have" lately. Being on disability doesn't help "discresionary spending" either, with gas doubling in price and groceries(for me, a diabetic) up 30% at least. I'm planning on the Bluford Shops 86' boxcars...at least a dozen, maybe more. Not going to do a unit coal train...too many in the club already. Grinding away on an intermodal train. Geez, those DeLuxe containers get exspensive when you need 40-60 of 'em. Picking my spots more. :'(

womblenz

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2008, 06:00:34 AM »
While not a big fan of credit cards I have found it a nesscary evil for international orders

I have one that is for net only seperate from all other bank ac
It has a very low limit and $25 a week goes on it when i want something use it and if it's a big ticket item I will transfer money to it if needed.

Cheers Warren

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2008, 11:07:46 AM »
It's a good news / bad news scenario with me: the good new is that it's way less than I spend putting three kids through school; the bad news is that it's way less than I spend putting three kids through school.   :o

Wlal13again

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2008, 11:28:38 AM »
 It varies, I`d say around $50 to $80, Unless pre orders all hit at once, then it could around $250 or so...
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...

RS-27

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 02:40:47 AM »
I'm: cheap, retired, ex-hobbyshop owner, prone to skulk thrift shops (and dumpsters) (I got spoiled by Sears' Outlet Stores when I lived north of DFW, 50 down to 10 cents on the dollar...). Plus I have a defined place and time for my modeling efforts, so no Daylights, Big Boys, Zephyrs...

My last biggest purchase was a Cannon 8M 350D for $450 at ODepot a few months ago, otherwise a couple hundred on eBay, and about the same on olde mags from a east coast mrr club. Probably spent the same on CH3CH2OH (ethanol) over the same time period. (still cheaper than tall blonds (but maybe less fun))  :'(

Bob in IDaho

Van Horne

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 05:33:00 PM »
I try not to think about it!  I don't have to answer to anyone but myself for my spending, but even I get antsy sometimes when I add it up!  Suffice it to say that a hundred dollars a week would be a good average.

David

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 05:38:19 PM »
Since hurricane Katrina, I've hardly spent anything on model railroading. I did order a bunch of Micro-Trains couplers and low profile wheelsets from Chuck at Feather River so I could get some cars ready to sell, but that's about it.

Now I'm back into photography. Guess what, guys! Photography is cheaper than model railroading LOL.
Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 06:59:33 PM »
That information is proprietary .. but suffice it to say, I contribute enough to several hobby shops ..

Skip

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2008, 10:14:19 AM »
My monthly average normally is about $100 as I am building a new layout.  Possibly the next couple of months it will be down (sorry Chuck) as I have most of the material I need, and now I need to install it.

Kisatchie,

Photography can be expensive too.  I just spent over $700 for a Nikon D80.  Hopefully the business I'm starting will help pay for it.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 07:43:55 AM by Skip »

Chulvis

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +5
    • http://www.featherrivertrains.com
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2008, 09:29:20 PM »
Many thousands, each and every month!

Sadly, I don't keep any of it...unless it says Western Pacific on it.  ;D

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2008, 10:53:10 PM »
I'm down to about $50 now the last few months. The county cut our budget, and with the need for child care now most of my spending money has gone to other things.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1