Author Topic: The drawing board, and to it my abrupt return...  (Read 3042 times)

Lucas in Alaska

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
Re: The drawing board, and to it my abrupt return...
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 01:38:26 AM »
biker_ray_pa

I don't want to hijack this thread but I know what you mean. When I first started in model railroading I wanted the huge multi deck layout. Planning, life and priorities have only really given me time to be a collector, armchair modeler and to design and redesign my layout but never build.

My current plan is for 3 towns, one large with a small yard and the other two out one end. I want to have 2-4 interchanges with other railroads giving me a lot of operations. I would like to have a nice run in-between the towns in a 6-8 in shelf. I don't know what layout area I'm going to get in the future after I move to Anchorage (prob. one stall in a 3 car garage).

I do wonder if this is too much to shoot for but only time will tell. I might just have to cut it down to modeling the one large town.

Oh yes the Gravity Hammer. You want to remove the bench work not the wall.

Lucas in Alaska

Erik W

• Crew
  • Respect: +715
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 10:53:36 AM »
When I was coming up with the concept for my layout 4+ years ago, I was visualizing a layout that I could get to a near “completed” state in 10 years. I had an area 13’ x 15’ to use.  I chose to design a 12’ by 14’ L shaped layout that left much of the available square footage empty.  My goal was to have a layout that was big enough for decent operation yet not so big that its size would stymie my motivation.  My problem now, being only 4 1/3 years into my 10 year project is that the layout will be at a nearly completed state in less than a year!  Five years ago I wasn’t into model railroading at all.  Hell, I hadn’t even flipped through a Model Railroader in over a decade.  I didn’t think I’d be so motivated to work on it as regularly as I have.  My wife initiated a discussion a few days ago where she told me I was free to use most of the basement in the future (she had previously wanted a pool table).  I don’t really want to expand my current layout, which is my first.  So, I’ll be faced with the desire to tear it down in the next year or two as I run out of things to do with it.  I have been keeping a list of things I’d do differently on the next one so the thought of tearing it down and starting over isn’t all bad.  Though my next layout will be bigger, I still don’t plan on using all the available space.  I feel intuitively that there is a size that would be too big for my motivation level.  For that reason, I think I’d rather build a layout that’s too small than too big.

Lucas in Alaska

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 01:43:12 PM »
Erik,

I have been impressed with your layout since I found it on Trainboard two years ago. These two pics really captured me, I really love the first pic of Denver.

I think you have done a great job on the layout, to me it is a very manageable size. It will be about a year until I will be able to lay any track and by that point I plan on having everything down on paper; track plan, timetable, timetable for building and maybe have some buildings built.

I do have one question for you. I see that you have three tracks for staging. Do you wish you would have put more staging track in?

Lucas in Alaska

asciibaron

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 03:12:43 PM »

Anybody else ever decided to go from a large layout to a small one, rather than vice versa? I'm sure I'm not the only one.

i had a largish layout in my parent's basement (before college!).  it started as a 4x8 then morphed into a 6x6 and then became an 18 by 11 - all in HO.  never finished the scenery, but had a few vignettes.  now i'm down to a 5x8 shelf layout in N scale, but that will be expanding once i put up a new wall and some drywall...

-Steve
Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?

Erik W

• Crew
  • Respect: +715
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 08:40:22 PM »
I do have one question for you. I see that you have three tracks for staging. Do you wish you would have put more staging track in?

Lucas in Alaska

Lucas,

Thanks for the kind words.  I have thought that another track or two in the staging yard would have been nice.  I'm the sole operator 99% of the time though, so the lack of more staging is fine.

Erik