Author Topic: New Special Run tank car from BLW  (Read 2003 times)

3rdrail

New Special Run tank car from BLW
« on: April 30, 2008, 06:56:59 PM »
Pete Postel gets me almost every time with the special run MTL tank cars he has run for the major oil companies. Will now have Mobil in three schemes, two from BLW and the red one from MTL, plus a Bachmann 3 dome and a modified Kato (Con-Cor).

Looks good to me:

Expensive, though. $33.95 each or $99.95 for a three-pack.

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
Re: New Special Run tank car from BLW
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 08:43:27 PM »
Good looking car.  I just picked up a 3 dome yellow Bachman 3 dome  Penn Salt plus a Trix Hormel reefer for $5.  Need trucks and some work but can't beat the price.

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 08:52:51 PM »
While I agree it's a very attractive car I have no way of knowing if this was a prorotypical scheme or the imaginary creatation of someone. In addition; the working art file shows some "print font anomolies" - the letters have no fill in the central areas - this is a trend currently in some popular fonts and I have a few clients that really like it but would have been an oddity 50 years ago. The words "Mobilgas" would have been painted on, not done with a transfer or other modern graphic medium, therefore they would have either "overpainted" the name with white or would have been "reversed"the name out of a white base colour when a second red paint was applied - usually railways filled in their lettering, and with a few exceptions, even hand painted in the marks left by "stencil points" ( the small gaps left by a paper stencil that needs to hold a floating piece tgether, like the circular piece on a "P".) Aside form Lehigh Valley I can't think of another railway that didn't fill these in.

Regardless, it's attractive. the car, not the price ! ;D
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 09:17:50 PM »
Looks better in real living color:
http://www.blwnscale.com/blwphotos/BLW-2000-28.jpg

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 09:18:46 PM »
In addition; the working art file shows some "print font anomolies" - the letters have no fill in the central areas - this is a trend currently in some popular fonts and I have a few clients that really like it but would have been an oddity 50 years ago.

I very strongly suspect this was a result of a really quick-and-dirty coloring process. Notice the irregularities along the handrail and the strangeness around the small type--the very things one expects to see when using a fill tool in a paint program. Same things can be seen in the black color, too. I'd bet this started out as a line drawing that got some color slapped into it in a hurry.

Edit: Follow Chris' link above--we posted simultaneously.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 09:21:16 PM by David K. Smith »

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 09:50:47 PM »
Did anyone else notice in the BLW photo that one end of the car has a 70T roller bearing truck and the other end has a Bettendorf truck?
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Chulvis

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +5
    • http://www.featherrivertrains.com
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 10:03:34 PM »
Did anyone else notice in the BLW photo that one end of the car has a 70T roller bearing truck and the other end has a Bettendorf truck?

Well, I guess that means we have options on what trucks we want!

Those wacky MTL people...always the jokesters.

Atlanticflier

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 05:29:36 AM »
Nice looking cars. Pete has commisioned a lot of neat cars over the years. These are bright attention getters !

3rdrail

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 07:23:20 PM »

Well, I got mine in the mail today and it has plain bearing Bettendorf style trucks on both ends, thankfully. Got to take it upstairs and add the placard boards and hazmat placards.

A really good looking car, IMHO.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 07:54:47 PM »
Expensive, though. $33.95 each...

I gather that the expense is due to the paint job. Tight registration pad printing, and a separately-painted dome. It's an impressive-looking model; mine will go nicely with the other special-run tankers.