Author Topic: New models from Island Model Works LLC  (Read 5391 times)

3rdrail

New models from Island Model Works LLC
« on: April 26, 2008, 06:52:47 PM »
I thought I'd never see the day LIRR "ping-pongs" were made in N scale, but:

And, how about PRR P54's for Pittsburgh commuters and all sorts of locals in an earlier era:

More information at:  http://www.islandmodelworks.com/

No affiliation, just a fair amount of interest in the prototypes.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 06:58:08 PM by 3rdrail »

ljudice

Re: New models from Island Model Works LLC
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 08:39:58 PM »
If he does the CNJ and PRR equipment used on the NY&LB in the 1960's and 1970's I'm in trouble again...

Walkercolt

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 10:04:58 PM »
Samples look very nice, indeed. Maybe there's hope for N-scale passenger equiptment yet. Let's be honest; it's a heck-of-a-lot easier to "bash" in HO than in N. More fodder to work from, and twice as big. Car sides are nice, provided there's a "core" you can work from, but there's no "core" for these cars. Hope they do very well and do other cars too.

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +188
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 10:25:51 PM »
The RS-3 are available for the diseasel era on the P-54s.  You would have to change the number to a passenger number (MicroScale sheet), add the s/g details (J'n'J, PRR passenger RS-3s used the angled escape stack up against the cab) and the TrainFone antenna (Gold Medal? one of the detail manufacturers sells the brackets for the antenna, and the Woodland Scenics foam cutter wire makes good antenna wire), but it could be done.

For the steam boys, no one sells a G-5  :(, although you might get away with a K-4 (TRIX) or a T class (brass), as some of those did work Pittsburgh commuters in their last days before the RS-3s arrived.  P-54s do look a bit silly behind a T, but it did happen. 

Thanks for the link, I see some bashing possibilities.  I wonder if the guy who is always asking for Comet cars and the modern commuter equipment is aware of these people.

kiwi_al

• Crew
  • Respect: +361
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 06:39:49 AM »
I wonder if the guy who is always asking for Comet cars and the modern commuter equipment is aware of these people.

That is Dan Leavitt, I reckon he'll be a happy chappy eh!  ;D ;D

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1250
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 07:00:51 AM »
I'm waiting for the improved versions to come alaong. I did change my sig on the atlas board to "Please make MBTA style Kawasaki commuter cars."
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 07:57:00 AM »
Please make MBTA style Kawasaki commuter cars.

Isn't that a Kawasaki car pictured on their web site? At the bottom of the Comet car page? I haven't spent much time around them, but at first glance, it looks a heck of a lot like the new MARC cars. If so, it would seem you'll be getting your wish soon.

Are the Amtrak Horizon cars basically Comet 2s? The profiles and major details seem fairly close.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

brokemoto

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 08:08:09 AM »
Those may be Sumitomos.  One would think that I would know, as I ride the old Busted and Mined trains every time that I go home, but as I am not too good on my modern stuff, I am not sure.

I've ridden a fair spread of Busted and Mismanaged commuter and local equipment:   I have vague memories of the steam, the BL-2s and a railcar here and there.  My clearest memories are of the RDCs both when their power units worked and when they had to put blue Busted and Mangled GP-9s and GP-7s on them.  I also remember the F-10s, but I stopped paying too much attention after that.

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 11:46:48 AM »
Besides Pittsburgh, what other locations were the P54's used?

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8054
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 12:12:20 PM »
Philly, B'more and DC I think?

Probably Chicago & St. Louis too.

3rdrail

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 12:42:16 PM »
I've seen photos of them on the Northern Central out of Sodus Point, on the GR&I out of Grand Rapids and many other locations prior to completion of the electrification in the mid to late 1930's. As the locals were taken off branch lines, the cars were converted to MU's. This was one of PRR's smart moves, designing cars for local service with the idea of eventually electrifying them.

Sodus Point: http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/prr4010.jpg

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 01:19:36 PM »

I was wondering if they ran out of B'more in commuter service on the Northern Central Line!  I've been told that some lasted into PC service around B'more and DC - done up in green PC paint no less.
Bob

3rdrail

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 02:18:30 PM »

I was wondering if they ran out of B'more in commuter service on the Northern Central Line!  I've been told that some lasted into PC service around B'more and DC - done up in green PC paint no less.
Bob

Those were the electrified ones, MP54's, although some were electric trailers, with no motors or pantographs, but MU controls. Two were painted blue and were used by Washington Terminal.

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 09:55:05 PM »
I know I saw a photo of one painted in yellow, I guess used for work service of some sort.

brokemoto

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 05:55:21 AM »
Wasn't there also an MPB-54?  I do not recall seeing the baggage/passenger version in the Washington area (it may have been too late) , but I seem to recall seeing a photograph of one.  The baggage door had the porthole, as oppposed to rectangular windows, which is a PRR feature.

I do recall seeing the two blue cars painted for WTC as MARC (or whoever it was) began to remove the electric cars from commuter service.

The electric MU cars also ran in Jersey, did they not?  I seem to recall seeing some in the 1970s, some were red, some green.