Author Topic: Painted lines on road questions  (Read 1542 times)

Erik W

• Crew
  • Respect: +715
Painted lines on road questions
« on: May 01, 2008, 09:34:04 PM »
What do you folks use for the painted lines on paved roads?  Decals, dry transfers, paint them yourself, etc?

Thanks,
Erik

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Re: Painted lines on road questions
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 09:59:28 PM »
I use masking tape and newspaper to mask off the lines. I do it all twice, once each for yellow and white lines.

To make double yellow lines that are uniform in width and run parallel, I'll apply three strips of pin-striping tape butted together side by side, then I'll apply regular masking tape along the outsides of the group of three; finally, I'll remove the two pieces of pin-striping tape where the lines will run.

After the masking is all in place, I just spray the area with Refer White or Refer Yellow. I spray very lightly, building up to the desired density, and also vary the density to simulate natural wear.

Walkercolt

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 10:39:47 PM »
I'm lazy and use Chart-Pak 1/32" yellow and white tape. Drafting supply stores can still get it. :P

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 12:27:33 AM »
When I'm building styrene streets, I start by masking the white lines, then spraying on some yellow.

Then I mask the yellow lines (I use that graphic tape, too... makes nice skinny lines!)
And shoot it with a blend of flat black, grey primer and whatever else is in the cabinet...

Then I hit the sidewalks with grey, let it dry, and voila!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 01:58:33 AM »
I use masking tape and newspaper to mask off the lines. I do it all twice, once each for yellow and white lines.

To make double yellow lines that are uniform in width and run parallel, I'll apply three strips of pin-striping tape butted together side by side, then I'll apply regular masking tape along the outsides of the group of three; finally, I'll remove the two pieces of pin-striping tape where the lines will run.

After the masking is all in place, I just spray the area with Refer White or Refer Yellow. I spray very lightly, building up to the desired density, and also vary the density to simulate natural wear.

Outstanding roads and lines .

Richie Dost

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 02:07:40 AM »
David,
Any videos of this layout?

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 06:30:43 AM »
Outstanding roads and lines .

Thank you!

David,
Any videos of this layout?

I wish!

I know it's on a few tapes somewhere "out there" as several visitors shot it when it was open for the NMRA. Now, how to contact these people...

Erik W

• Crew
  • Respect: +715
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 08:34:41 AM »
David,

Nice!  I think I'll use your technique.

Erik