Author Topic: New Track Planning Book  (Read 2044 times)

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
  • Helps build strong models 8 ways
  • Respect: +31
    • Alkem Scale Models
New Track Planning Book
« on: April 23, 2008, 11:56:37 AM »
For those of you interested in model railroad track planning and design my new book, "Mid-Sized Track Plans for Realistic Layouts" is now available for sale. 

The book covers 10 different prototype railroads with plans from Z to G scale. Each chapter presents a different prototype, provides a historical background, with operational information and includes track plans in multilple scales. The text is accompanied by numerous photos, maps and diagrams.

You can purchase a signed copy from my website at http:www.alkemscalemodels.com
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 12:05:50 PM by AlkemScaleModels »

Van Horne

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
Re: New Track Planning Book
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 01:14:01 PM »
Oh, sure.  Wait 'til I buy a copy from Kalmbach, then offer the investment quality signed edition later!

David

Erik W

• Crew
  • Respect: +37
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 10:07:08 PM »
Bernie,

I was at Caboose Hobbies last Saturday and flipped through a copy.  I liked it.  I would've bought a copy but my wallet was in the process of hemorrhaging money for scenery supplies.  You don't see many books out there on mid-sized layouts.  Come to think of it you really don't see any.  I liked your D&RGW Craig branch concept.  You captured all the important features of that part of the line.  I noticed on your website in the past a Craig branch track plan for your own basement.  Seems to be an idea you've revisited a few times.  I was passing through Phippsburg a few years back during a wet spell in late spring.  The grass was green as can be and you could see forever.  I've always liked that area.

Fellow forumites,

I think you guys would like this book.  Bernie has done a good job of combining good operating possibilities with the notable features of the areas he has chosen to spotlight in the track plans.  The book definitely has more to offer then your typical track plan collection.

http://www.geocities.com/bkempins/ASMMain/TrackPlanBook.html

I'm not affiliated, I just think Bernie did a good job.

Erik
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 10:09:33 PM by Erik W »
My D&RGW layout  . . . and other stuff
http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w243/drgw55/

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 07:02:03 AM »
I agree with Erik, kudos to Bernie. My favorite was the cover story, since I am thinking about a belt line right now, but all provided fodder for more later. I'm looking forward to sitting down and reading it thoroughly.

I do have one question Bernie... the trackplan on pg. 8...at the bottom is a reference that states "Pueblo (Mine branch staging)" with a line that travels left, but leads to nothing... is part of that trackplan cut off? Or is that component to be left to the imagination?
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2233
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 10:15:58 AM »
I guess I'll have to deal with my revulsion to buying ANYTHING with NS on the cover and get me a copy... guess it'll be a swing by MBK in the AM on the way out tomorrow.

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
    • Alkem Scale Models
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 10:04:51 PM »
Oh, sure.  Wait 'til I buy a copy from Kalmbach, then offer the investment quality signed edition later!

David

David,

I'd be happy to sign your copy if the opportunity presents itself.

BCK

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
    • Alkem Scale Models
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 10:11:08 PM »
I agree with Erik, kudos to Bernie. My favorite was the cover story, since I am thinking about a belt line right now, but all provided fodder for more later. I'm looking forward to sitting down and reading it thoroughly.

I do have one question Bernie... the trackplan on pg. 8...at the bottom is a reference that states "Pueblo (Mine branch staging)" with a line that travels left, but leads to nothing... is part of that trackplan cut off? Or is that component to be left to the imagination?

Pueblo is a one track mine branch that is hidden under the hill along the wall and behind the turntable. It is a little difficult to see the dotted line for the track against the forest graphic. Probably should have drawn it in a lighter color.

That little switching district has always been one of my favorites.  The N scale design really offers a lot of operation in compact space. Southern Iron and the Vulcan gravel plant would be fun to model.

BCK

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
    • Alkem Scale Models
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 10:13:06 PM »
I guess I'll have to deal with my revulsion to buying ANYTHING with NS on the cover and get me a copy... guess it'll be a swing by MBK in the AM on the way out tomorrow.

Thanks Ed.  If I do a volume II, I'll be sure to include some Conrail action for ya.

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
    • Alkem Scale Models
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 10:37:58 PM »
Bernie,

I was at Caboose Hobbies last Saturday and flipped through a copy.  I liked it.  I would've bought a copy but my wallet was in the process of hemorrhaging money for scenery supplies.  You don't see many books out there on mid-sized layouts.  Come to think of it you really don't see any.  I liked your D&RGW Craig branch concept.  You captured all the important features of that part of the line.  I noticed on your website in the past a Craig branch track plan for your own basement.  Seems to be an idea you've revisited a few times.  I was passing through Phippsburg a few years back during a wet spell in late spring.  The grass was green as can be and you could see forever.  I've always liked that area.

Fellow forumites,

I think you guys would like this book.  Bernie has done a good job of combining good operating possibilities with the notable features of the areas he has chosen to spotlight in the track plans.  The book definitely has more to offer then your typical track plan collection.

http://www.geocities.com/bkempins/ASMMain/TrackPlanBook.html

I'm not affiliated, I just think Bernie did a good job.

Erik

Thanks for the note.  The Craig Branch has been an interest area of mine for several years. I once considered modeling it with a freelanced assumption that the line was extended westward to an interchange with the UP near Green River. That would have provided the opportunity to include some through bridge traffic along with the coal mines. That is the plan I posted on my site.  The plans in the book are for a different, more typical layout space.

My actual layout space has a somewhat unusual shape with lots of ducts and pipes creating interference. It would not be appropriate for a general interest layout design book.

BCK

« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 11:01:05 PM by AlkemScaleModels »

Ali Kenneth

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 04:52:32 PM »
It arrived through the post from SPV(.co.uk) today and, i am impressed.

The plans for the NS Shortline are very similar to what i am looking at modelling and thus provide much needed inspiration to take me aware from Nappy changing.

Thanks Bernie.

Alasdair

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
    • Alkem Scale Models
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 09:45:24 PM »
It arrived through the post from SPV(.co.uk) today and, i am impressed.

The plans for the NS Shortline are very similar to what i am looking at modelling and thus provide much needed inspiration to take me aware from Nappy changing.

Thanks Bernie.

Alasdair

I'm glad you are enjoying the book.  I'd like to see how you were able to adapt the information from the book to your plan. Would it be possible to send a copy of your new plan or ideas?

Thanks,
BCK