Author Topic: Ideas Needed: Transition to Background Trees  (Read 3175 times)

3rdrail

Re: Ideas Needed: Transition to Background Trees
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 02:23:22 PM »
Wow, the trees just to the left of the track on both sides of the bridge are as red as a fire engine! I had wondered about these trees in previous photos of KB's layout.

Have a story about color blindness. One time, going back to Tulane in New Orleans from New York, I drove straight through with another student in his car. One would sleep while the other drove. This was 1959 so it was not all interstate. Almost there, in Picayune, MS, the other guy drove though a red light and I yelled at him. He said, "The light was lit on top!" I told him that it was one of those "three bulb" lights, where the red and green were reversed, that were once common in small towns. That's when he told me he was colorblind. From then on, I took the train...

justTRAINcRaZy

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 02:58:04 PM »
Thanks, Dave. I never saw any difference in the filtered version, either. The offending red trees have been removed.

Now, back to the land of ignorant bliss.

KB

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2008, 03:06:27 PM »
Wow, the trees just to the left of the track on both sides of the bridge are as red as a fire engine! I had wondered about these trees in previous photos of KB's layout.

Have a story about color blindness. One time, going back to Tulane in New Orleans from New York, I drove straight through with another student in his car. One would sleep while the other drove. This was 1959 so it was not all interstate. Almost there, in Picayune, MS, the other guy drove though a red light and I yelled at him. He said, "The light was lit on top!" I told him that it was one of those "three bulb" lights, where the red and green were reversed, that were once common in small towns. That's when he told me he was colorblind. From then on, I took the train...

Can't say I blame you, and although I can't speak for KB, there's no chance that I would get a red and green traffic light mixed up.  They don't even come close.  The yellow and red lights, maybe.  I look for stop signs at those intersections with blinking lights.  I have pulled over for an emergency vehicle once or twice only to discover that it was a tow truck and not a fire truck or ambulance.

Dave

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2008, 03:07:13 PM »
Thanks, Dave. I never saw any difference in the filtered version, either. The offending red trees have been removed.

Now, back to the land of ignorant bliss.

KB

Welcome to my world!

Dave

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
  • Helps build strong models 8 ways
  • Respect: +39
    • Alkem Scale Models
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2008, 11:35:56 PM »
I've settled on Supertrees and ground foam for foreground trees - but for those eastern hills that are tree covered would like to use something more like polyfibre for the background. Any ideas, examples of transitioning between them, as well as the groundcover you use under the foreground trees.  How far back do you put your foreground trees??

Thanks!!!

Lou

I have used Woodland Scenic Clusters for background trees. I make  foreground trees using ten gauge straded wire with poly fiber for leaves, or from super trees.  I line the wood line with these trees and then use the foliage clusters for the main forest canopy.

You can see some of the results in the current issue of NSR. 

BCK

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2008, 01:47:39 AM »
You can see some of the results in the current issue of NSR.

Bernie,

That N Scale Railroading cover is beautiful!  I can't wait to see the article.

Dave

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!