Author Topic: Another Custom Grade Crossing Signal  (Read 7937 times)

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
Another Custom Grade Crossing Signal
« on: April 12, 2008, 03:21:14 PM »
I wanted to add some more lights to a grade crossing without having to replace the existing NJI signal with a cantilever signal (as in my other thread), so I made a double-headed signal to go on the left side of the street.

Although double-headed signals can be found in the real world, this is probably a pretty unusual setup. Opinions welcome on how you think this looks.

The signals are driven by a LogicRail Grade Crossing Pro and the NJI gate is animated by a Tortoise Switch Machine.

Russ
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 05:16:03 PM by tehachapifan »

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Another Custom Grade Crossing Signal
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 07:34:05 PM »
I don't know about the double headed one. I just haven't seen that many of them for it to look "right" to me.

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 08:28:21 PM »
I've seen some that look pretty close to that ib busier roads.  But you'd never put the 'extra' lights on the opposite side of the road.  If they were ever going to be assymetrical, they'd be on the right side.  But, that's nitpicking really, and I like how you've got it.

What did draw my attention is that MoW truck in the background...
-Mark

Walkercolt

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 10:04:09 PM »
Russ, you're not gonna make the next month release date? And they might be more than $10???What a rip-off vapor-ware kinda outfit is this guy? ;D Just had to "A" board you...you know it's like water-boarding, but done with a keyboad. Great work. I wish I could do that kind of work. I know what I want it to come out like, and I know how it comes out, and the two don't match. ::)

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 01:01:36 AM »
I don't know about the double headed one. I just haven't seen that many of them for it to look "right" to me.

I actually haven't seen very many of these types of signals either, but couldn't really come up with any other options without replacing the existing NJI signal. I did find some photos of double-headed signals at a (great) crossing signal website, such as...

http://www.rxrsignals.net/Maine/Greene/College/4.jpg
http://www.rxrsignals.net/Maine/Lewiston/Whipple/4.jpg

They do take some getting used to but I think they're kind'a cool. ;)

I've seen some that look pretty close to that ib busier roads.  But you'd never put the 'extra' lights on the opposite side of the road.  If they were ever going to be assymetrical, they'd be on the right side.  But, that's nitpicking really, and I like how you've got it.

You're right that extra lights should probably go on the right as opposed to the left....but, again, it was the issue of not wanting to replace the NJI signal.

Glad you like the MOW truck. It's not quite finished but it is actually powered by a heavily modified Kato pocket loco mechanism and was inspired by the Ron Bearden MOW truck. Here's some close up photos....

Russ, you're not gonna make the next month release date? And they might be more than $10???What a rip-off vapor-ware kinda outfit is this guy? ;D Just had to "A" board you...you know it's like water-boarding, but done with a keyboad. Great work. I wish I could do that kind of work. I know what I want it to come out like, and I know how it comes out, and the two don't match. ::)

Thanks, Walkercolt. ;D You're right....I guess I'll need to add another day or two to the deadline. :P

Russ

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 12:43:18 AM »
If you are looking for inspiration for more unique signals here's a little...

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=220631

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 06:55:15 AM »
I have dozens of photos of signals like these (I can never seem to get enough of them):

Here's one that's pretty ordinary, except that it has no flashers on the main pole, which is a little unusual:

Here's a modern set with extra reach:

And this monstrosity has no less than 18 pairs of flashers:

« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 06:57:11 AM by David K. Smith »

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 07:02:34 AM »
Here's another one of the signals I modeled. It's built on a standard mini phono plug so that it can be removed from the layout.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »

I'll have to get some shots of the two crossings here on the NHN Conway Branch. Both have the additional signal on the left side of the road with the top lights. Both intersections are at the bottom of a hill, so the top lights you can see when you are at the top and can't see the crossing.

Prototype for everything! ;D
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 11:51:07 AM »
Thanks for the link and photos, jmlaboda and Dave! ;D

Dave, that N scale signal with the phono-type jack is terrific! :o

Ian, I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the signal you speak of.

Russ

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 01:23:12 PM »
The phono jack idea is ingenious...  I can see using that for street lights in an urban scene.  Not only do you get a solid electrical connection, but a very solid mechanical base.  What a concept for a multi-era layout... being able to switch out old time gas lights for modern goose necks!

You better patent that one, Dave...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 03:06:53 PM »
The phono jack idea is ingenious...  I can see using that for street lights in an urban scene.  Not only do you get a solid electrical connection, but a very solid mechanical base.  What a concept for a multi-era layout... being able to switch out old time gas lights for modern goose necks!

You better patent that one, Dave...

Lee

Thanks! I have used them for streetlights, telephone poles, working crossing arms, lighted vehicles, even a crossing shanty--pretty much anything that might be prone to damage during cleaning or maintenance. I wanted to use them for stoplights, too, but they required too many circuits. But I'm thinking next time I make stoplights, I'm going to see if I can modify a stereo mini to carry extra circuits. I've recently come across a source for 2:1 shrink wrap tubing that is .008" diameter pre-shrink; this sort of thing always gets the gears turning.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 03:08:26 PM by David K. Smith »

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 03:53:07 PM »
Speaking of stoplights, I have an old LAM Electronics 4-way stoplight system that I plan on installing at an intesection that is right next to a grade crossing. I think I may have figured out a way to have the signals change from normal operation to flashing red when the nearby crossing signal activates. My concept involves the use of the extra contacts on a Tortoise switch machine. However, first I need to actually pave the intersection and crossing and build the N scale cantilever stoplights. ::)

Russ
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 03:56:27 PM by tehachapifan »

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 04:07:14 PM »
...first I need to actually pave the intersection and crossing and build the N scale cantilever stoplights. ::)

At this point, I would suggest you start scrounging for fine solenoid wire. With all the wires that stoplights have, you'll need it!

These had left-turn signals, as well as walk/don't walk signals:

They were programmed with a "player piano" mechanism:

More info: http://whiteriverandnorthern.net/clinic_25.htm

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 04:16:56 PM »
Wow! Terrific site with a lot of great ideas! :o I've got it bookmarked.

Although I would love to have all the signal indications yours has, mine will probably be a bit more simplified...with no left turn signal or walk/don't walk signals. The system I have won't support those.

Russ
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 04:22:33 PM by tehachapifan »