Author Topic: From four came 10,000 - steam locomotives  (Read 5458 times)

David Leonard

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: From four came 10,000 - steam locomotives
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2008, 10:11:21 AM »
To which topic do I reply? Both, I guess.

I also would like to see steam locomotive models offered in various configurations (like MDC HO and MP N.) For simplicity's sake, just adding a Belpair boiler to the mix (along with different cabs, pilots, smokebox fronts and tender trucks) would be as far as I could reasonably hope. Maybe two styles of tenders. That would result in four basic kits (boiler tender combinations with the additional parts thrown in) and a variety of RTR configurations. Actually, I can't think of any Belpair boiler-Vandy tender configurations in the proto world, so there would only need to be three basic kits.

The PRR E, G and H series comes to mind--how about just having a non-Belpaire boiler option? Or what about having a Belpair firebox add-on?

OK, topic number 2: There's so much stuff I'd like in N scale, that I can only  narrow my purchasing by virtue of road and era preference. But if I want a Big Boy (and the money isn't otherwise spoken for) I'll buy it. It's just fun. I do have the LL NKP #765, which I could plausibly run on a ferry move (I don't want to buy a bunch of passenger cars--beside the LL couldn't pull them all!). Yes, I would like my layout to be realistic and plausible, but that doesn't have to hold true for every single operating session!

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2008, 10:22:14 AM »
The GN had alot of belpair boiler steamers.  Don't know if they used Vandy tenders or not.

3rdrail

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2008, 10:35:28 AM »
Bob and Dave, the Great Northern did have steamers with Belpaire fireboxes and Vanderbilt tenders, up to 2-8-8-2's, but the cabs on G5s's, the only post-1905 PRR Ten Wheeler, was the post-1915 type with a single window, while all the E's and H's had the double window on each side. The double window cab was longer than the single window one, so different castings would be required, even if the cab were a separate piece.

There'd be a problem with GN cabs, too, as some were rectangular and others' front wall was sloped.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2008, 10:57:26 AM »
Heh, even N&W used Belpaires for a while ...

8)

David Leonard

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2008, 11:34:03 AM »
Hey, the N&W G1 looks a lot like the MDC 2-8-0. I bet that with a different cab, one could make a pretty good representation of #5 in N scale. The tall tender helps too.

I do recall GN articulateds with Belpairs, but their single engined locomotives with Belpairs are new to me.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2008, 11:47:28 AM »
Hey, the N&W G1 looks a lot like the MDC 2-8-0. I bet that with a different cab, one could make a pretty good representation of #5 in N scale. The tall tender helps too.

Well, the cab is close enough for me ... and you'd need to add a Belpaire to the MDC/Athearn.  ;)

I do recall GN articulateds with Belpairs, but their single engined locomotives with Belpairs are new to me.
GN liked them Belpaires a lot.

Maybe some French railroads did too.  :P (what about Belgium?)

In the UK Great Western and some other RR liked them too:

« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 12:13:41 PM by NandW »

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2008, 12:46:44 PM »
I do love me some BR&W...

Here you go, Ed.

/>
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 04:28:35 PM by David K. Smith »