Author Topic: Big Kato SD40-2 News!!!  (Read 3295 times)

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +576
    • My train pics
Re: Big Kato SD40-2 News!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 01:42:37 PM »
No point in crying...get out the airbrush and decals. Hey, I could paint an IC loco....

Sure there's a point. It's annoying. They did the SD40-2 for CN to represent a repainted IC locomotive... so why not do an IC unit since they're trying to get as much bang for the development costs. I fail to see how endless BNSF releases will accomplish that. Maybe the Japanese hate IC as much as I do? Or more, since I actually would like them to do one.

And for me, at this point in time, right now and for the forseeable future, painting isn't an option in my condo... though paint fumes would be better than the stink that comes in from the hall at times. I admit it, I'm in collector mode until there is a basement in my life  :'(

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 01:59:44 PM »
I guess this wasn't obvious but the only version readily available for painting is the ditch light equiped mid production version. Useless for pre-ditch modelers and only one phase of many.

I have several SD40-2s (thankfully I don't need many, as I model a window of time that mainly closes with the last hi-nose units on the N&W which happen to be SD40-2s). The ones I have were quite an effort to find.

I'd like some more "early" SD40-2s from Kato (or anyone decent) to add to my roster and high nose, but where are they?

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 09:45:28 AM »
I found the MT artwork for their Z scale SD40-2 amusing:

(context Kato)

Based on MT's FT releases and the overall limited release policy of MT I'd be quite content to see MT stay out of the N scale loco market.

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +576
    • My train pics
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 10:35:19 AM »
I'd like some more "early" SD40-2s from Kato (or anyone decent) to add to my roster and high nose, but where are they?

You and about a million others! In N scale it seems you spend an aweful lot of time waiting and hoping and praying...