Author Topic: First Airbrush Purchase!  (Read 1630 times)

jaretos

• Respect: 0
First Airbrush Purchase!
« on: March 23, 2008, 12:26:54 PM »
After carefull research from numerous sorces, I purchased the Paasche VL.  I went w/ dual action so I do not have to make another purchase down the road.  Now I need a good compressor.  Any suggestions?  Also, I know keeping the airbrush clean is paramount, so are there any online or other sources for cleaning instructions/tips?  The booklet from Paasche seems a little "thin"  on this subject.

thanks in advance!

John

bsoplinger

Re: First Airbrush Purchase!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 01:52:39 PM »
I see you only have 2 posts, so although I'd direct you to the crew lounge topic on the badger sale where compressors are discussed, I can't.

So post a bunch more times til your count gets higher then read the thread  :-*

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 05:47:57 PM »
...Now I need a good compressor.  Any suggestions?...

You might want to consider a 20-pound CO2 tank instead of a compressor (unless you plan on using it inside). I always used mine out in the garage with the big door open.

Advantages -

whisper quiet

steady flow - no pulsing

very low maintenance (have the tank inspected once every 5 years)

takes up very small storage space - less than a square foot

a full 20 pound CO2 charge is about $10-$15 and lasts and lasts (based on my experience, I'd say you could spray over one thousand N scale cars/locos)

since CO2 is pure, you don't need a water trap to collect water that is produced when spraying with regular compressed air

no electricity needed - spray during power failures LOL

Disadvantages

don't start tossing the CO2 cylinder around, otherwise you'll get a quick lesson in rocket science

use in a well-ventilated area

the tank is heavy - don't drop it on your foot (not that you'd need to move it around a lot)

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

jaretos

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 08:07:10 PM »
Where could I find a co2 tank and how would someone re-fill it when needed?  Just curious. 

Thanks!

John

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 08:39:15 PM »
I would recommend going to your local Harbor Freight, or some other local discount tool store, and picking up one of their $80 compressors that come with a 2-gallon air tank. I have this one, and it's worked fairly well:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47407

The only caveat is you'll need to get a moisture trap and a couple 3/8 hose couplings to attach the trap and your airbrush hose, but a compressor has many more uses than a CO2 tank.
Sean

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 08:44:41 PM »
I had three tanks which I bought (used) from a fire extinguisher company. I was getting the tanks recharged there, but I later found out about a welding supply house that filled them for much less.

The reason I had three tanks was because I was in HO for many years, and area-wise, HO cars/locos are about 8 times larger than N scale. It took a lot more CO2 to paint HO stuff. In any case, I had a tank for solvent-based paints, a tank for water-based paints, and a spare tank. Nothing is worse than running out of CO2 in the middle of a paint job LOL. That never happened once I changed to N scale. Too bad I lost all my equipment in the hurricane Katrina flood.

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

jaretos

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 09:16:55 PM »
Tanks for all the info!  I probably will go w/ the compressor in case I need to work up in the layout room, as it is on the second floor of my home.

John

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 10:24:26 PM »
I have this one
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38898
and it has been useful for all manner of compressed air needs.  While it won't keep up with a framing nailer it does help to have the extra 2 gallons capacity. 

Get a high quality regulator and moisture trap because the air any compressor provides is worthless without them.  Get your quick disconnects at the local home improvement big box store.  There are automotive and shop variety couplings and they are not cross compatible so choose wisely.  My neighbor who borrows everythng (and forgets to return anything) had shop type so I went with automotive...
Support fine modeling

qantaqa

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 03:44:54 AM »
Where could I find a co2 tank and how would someone re-fill it when needed?  Just curious. 

I use CO2 for homebrewing, and I go to NAPA and exchange an empty bottle for a full one; it's around $25 for a 5lb bottle IIRC...

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +58
    • Conrail's Portland Line
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 02:21:48 PM »
Yes the Paasche instructions are very light, but they are easy to break down. Pretty much just loosen the too hex screws, break down and let soak in orange cleaner for a bit.   In the needle head there is a lock nut with a nylon washer behind it. Sometimes you need to replace em if you start to get bad suction from the color cup.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

jaretos

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 07:50:14 PM »
Thanks again for all the tips.  I have broken down the entire brush several times to get a feel for the eventual required maintence.  I plan on getting the compressor w/ moisture trap asap so I can lay down some test patterns. I appreciate all the feedback as always!

John

Walkercolt

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 11:18:31 PM »
Bad thing about CO2 or nitrogen tanks is they MUST NOT be carried in a passenger car. Bed of a pick-up only as of 2001. Don't worry about ventilation with either CO2 or nitrogen. The shorty bottles(3 foot tall) only hold 80 cubic feet of gas. You could empty the thing in a sealed phone booth without cutting down on the oxygen present. We used to use the BIG 2foot diameter nitrogen tanks to process film with, and the darkrooms are sealed(gotta keep the dark in)...never depleated the oxygen...just added some N2 to the air...have been in there for 6 hours straight at a time.We're talking about a 6x4x7 foot room, too, and using 16 liters of N2 a minute(that's a lot!).