Author Topic: CGW 50'6" gondola  (Read 2733 times)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
CGW 50'6" gondola
« on: January 30, 2008, 05:31:34 PM »
Well in respose to the fact that no one makes a stright steal side 14 panel gondola with fixed ends, I decided to see what could be put together with parts on hand.

The parts used are from an MT 14 panel straight steal side with drop ends, an MT 50' boxcar pullman ends, and some IM sprue parts off a 40' boxcar.

This model is really just a proof of concept and won't have any extra details put on it.  The biggest problem is that the sides are not equal in length which will mean using either two doner gondolas or making a mold.

Hopefully I can paint it tonight and test out my decals.

Jason
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 05:38:40 PM by wcfn100 »

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
Re: CGW 50'6" gondola
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 10:34:09 PM »
Looking good!  Who printed your decals?  Do you have an ALPS?

Frank

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 02:40:39 AM »
Yeah I have an Alps printer.  I haven't check my spray bomb yet but I have the feeling I'll be repainting this car as the wind and temp really f'ed my painting.

If so I should have this done by the weekend and I'll show the result.

Jason

bsoplinger

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 08:49:41 AM »
This model is really just a proof of concept and won't have any extra details put on it.  The biggest problem is that the sides are not equal in length which will mean using either two doner gondolas or making a mold.

This statement has me puzzled. How can a rectangular shape (the basic gon body) have sides which are "not equal in length?" Wouldn't that make a skewed body shape, ie more of a trapazoid vs a rectangle?

Brian

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 06:32:02 PM »
Sorry I missed your post Brian.

The MT gondola with the straight sides has the brake wheel on one end, on the side.  Where that brake wheel is, the end post is extra thick (or wide).  So after I had sanded it down to what I thought was the right width, I ended up with one side shorter than the other.  The alternative is to leave the post about twice the thickness as it should be.  Rock and a hard place for me.

Make any sense?  I'll post a pick when I get a chance.

Anyway, so I don't just leave this hanging, I have finished one side which isn't much further than before.

What I really wanted to add right now is as I was cutting up another 48000 series gondola for a possible mold, I came across something that changed this whole project.

I had originally chosen the car style for the straight sides even though there is no fixed end version.  There is a fixed end fish-belly side but the ends are wrong and I didn't want to lose the rivet row by sanding it flat.  But alas, the fixed side gondola has the exact same rivet row i.e it runs right off the bottom of the cars side anyways - news to me.  So any future models will probably fish-bellys sanded flat with the wrong ends and a slight adjustment to the decal sheet.  All of which will allow me not to have to make a mold for something I only need a couple of.  At some point there will be another experement with more correct ends from a MT boxcar like I did with this one.

Hopefully this model will be done soon as my desk is getting piled up again.

Jason

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 09:28:36 PM »
To finish this thread I completed the decals and done some weathering on the model.  I'm going to play with some chemical rusting (antique finishes?) on the inside but will leave the rest.  I may tone down the rust on the wheels.  I'm happy with the result and have learned a lot for the next one.

Next will be the articulated flat cars.

Jason

Ryan87

• Crew
  • Stay thirsty my friend...
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 10:15:29 PM »
Jason

Do you have a proto shot of the articulated flatcar?
Swimming in a sea of Action Red...

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 10:40:43 PM »
Ther are basically three references for the CGW articulated flats.

There is one builders phot that is in black and white.

There is a shot where they are in the forground of a box car picture.  This shot determined that these cars were maroon with yellow lettering.

There are several of the "A" end being used in CNW wrecker service.  I used this shot to determine that the lettering is the same on either side of the pair - meaning the bulk of the lettering is on the car to the left while just a couple basic markings on the other car.

All of these shots are posted in the CGW yahoo group's photos/files section.

Jason

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 07:32:23 PM »
use a foam brush to apply the rust finish.

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 08:05:05 PM »
I gave up on the rusting.  I lost the directions and got (really) lazy and just used some rust powder on the inside and called it done for now.

Thanks for the tip though. 

Jason

Cox 1947

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 04:45:58 PM »
Nice kitbash...Good to see some CGW in N scale....Cox 1947