Author Topic: Weekend Update 3-3-08  (Read 4587 times)

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
Re: Weekend Update 3-3-08
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2008, 10:30:52 PM »
Just finished the first locomotive (aside from the existing MACs) for my proto-lanced BN layout -- a modern BN as if there hadn't been a merger with SF.

This is SD60 9078, a former Oakway unit leased from EMD that, in my world, the BN decided to purchase outright at the end of the lease contract.  It's relatively fresh out of rebuild at West B.

This is the first unit I've worked on in years, so I was a bit rusty.  Detailing was left pretty minimal on this one.  All I did was put on some BLMA grabs and a Sunrise plow.  This was more of a test to see how the Executive scheme and decaling worked.  I am pleased with the results. 

If anyone ever needs to know, ModelFlex Executive colors aren't even remotely close to being correct.  Their Executive Cream is so overly Brown shaded that the color I used there is actually just 1 part ModelFlex Executive Cream to 10 Parts Insignia White to tone down the tan.  The Green is closer, but I should have added some Black to it, something I didn't think about until I had already removed the masking.  I'll probably go with a 25% Engine Black mix in the future.  BN was notorious for using a different shade of green every day of the week anyhow.

I need some lighting tips if anyone has any to share.  I've got a nice camera and flash (Nikon D40 with a Speedlight (flash turned up 45* except the front shot)) but I just can't get the fill lighting right.   I'm using 3 halogen lights in my spray booth right now (right, left, and above to minimize shadows).

And, yeah, the unit is missing couplers (I think I'll convert to MT) and rear numberboards (long story)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 10:33:25 PM by Hyperion »
-Mark

lashedup

• Crew
  • Respect: +108
    • Model 160
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2008, 03:31:07 AM »
Got some more work done on a Wisconsin farm crossing module I've been working on...

Also finishing a loading dock I scratch built from styrene for a team track on another module:

Lastly, put a new tar paper roof made from tissue paper on this MILW switching tower:

Got a show coming up soon so it is going to be a busy couple weeks... :)

diezmon

• Crew
  • Do they speak English in "What"?
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 09:15:28 AM »
Got some more work done on a Wisconsin farm crossing module I've been working on...

Looking good!  Now, where's the tutorial on your grass, hmmm?  :)

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 09:35:18 AM »
The only train related thing I did this weekend was to document these old lightweights languishing not far from the Amtrak main near Martin's State Airport ...

(click it for large version)

« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 11:49:10 AM by NandW »

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2411
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 10:11:27 AM »
I started laying out the track plan and seeing how structures will fit on the new layout. This is the Fresno Junction section of 4 sections around the room. I wanted to see in the scenery test what commercial products (I am stuck with) will work and what won't. I want to switch to a new brand of ballast or make my own from crushed and filtered stone. Used cork panels for roadbed and spackle in a tube for the contours and filling between the fascia and foam. The dirt I am using becomes darker during the scenery adheresion. I am going to find some lighter dirt and filter it, paint and sprinkle and only use the base color paint as an adhesive. I need to fight the temptation to add brush and foliage in an area where there is only dirt.

Fresno Junction on the West Side Lines - This is a WYE to Kerman on the left.

Using cork blocks for roadbed is a fist for me. Always used foam or cork roadbed.

This is a mix of Woodland Scenics and dirt. Too dark and doesn't look like the area.

Test area, none of the track is glued or fixed. Temporary for judging the area.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 11:46:29 AM by chuck geiger »
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

lashedup

• Crew
  • Respect: +108
    • Model 160
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2008, 11:23:44 AM »

Looking good!  Now, where's the tutorial on your grass, hmmm?  :)

I have at least two more modules that need grass in the next two weeks before a show so I'll take some step-by-step photos along the way.

Thanks for the kind words!

justTRAINcRaZy

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2008, 11:12:06 AM »
I took a couple of pics Sunday, but even to me they looked much the same as the last hundred or so. Still working on spline roadbed and laying mainline track.

I have all the trackwork done on the island WSS portion of the layout. That is just under 100' of single mainline, a 5-turn helix, 2 passing sidings, 2 small yards and spurs.

On the NS portion, I have the (2) 12' endpoint staging yards, and have completed the dual mainlines for about 60'. Another 16' of spline and I'll be at the Spencer Yard, which is halfway thru the NS layout.

I have attached a PDF of the current progress. Not to scale by any means. I also posted 1 pic showing the upper level NS track. I am currently across the pit (rear right of the picture)

Layout PDF