Author Topic: new grass products  (Read 9611 times)

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
Re: new grass products
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2008, 02:33:13 PM »
Whoa, who's Tom and who's Lashedup now?  I'm quote confused!

Odd...

lashedup

• Crew
  • Respect: +108
    • Model 160
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2008, 06:39:26 PM »
Ha, I've done this in my own forums as a mod/admin where it accidently click edit instead of quote, type away and hit submit, blow up the original post someone else made and post as them. Noob... :D

What I was *originally* saying is that I'm going to play around to vary the textures and add different foliage and such so it doesn't look quite so perfect. :)

I have an idea of doing patches of longer static in various areas on my first pass. Then going back with a base coat of grass. I'll play around some more when I get my next megadollar shipment of Silflor product...  :P

The good news is that Skibbe doesn't have a problem telling me when something doesn't look right. On the other hand I tell him he doesn't look right either, but that hasn't changed anything... hmmmm... so much for peer pressure!  8)

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2008, 09:41:45 PM »
Yeah sorry, that must be it! :-[

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1241
    • Modutrak
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2008, 12:55:28 PM »
The good news is that Skibbe doesn't have a problem telling me when something doesn't look right. On the other hand I tell him he doesn't look right either, but that hasn't changed anything... hmmmm... so much for peer pressure!  8)

Dammit Jamie, I said I wouldn't leave my wife and now you tell me I'm ugly?  Don't be angry.  You're a hot chick, you can find another guy.

lashedup

• Crew
    • Model 160
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2008, 05:34:01 PM »
Yeah, that's original... never heard the girl joke before...  ;D

lashedup

• Crew
    • Model 160
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2008, 09:49:36 AM »
Just got off the phone with Scenic Express and they are waiting on a shipment of Silflor - so my stuff is backordered. She thinks it will be back in sometime in the next two days so naturally I'll be working down to the wire on the modules before the show - what else is new! :)

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2008, 09:48:04 PM »
buffalo grass came in...it is awesome.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2008, 10:08:19 PM »
It's on sale too. 

Jason

lashedup

• Crew
    • Model 160
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2008, 01:11:54 AM »
Sorry for the lack of updates I promised - got too busy with the show and haven't had any time to photography stuff. The buffalo grass is awesome and I ended up ordering more. I need to take some detail shots. In the mean time I snapped a quick photo of a scratch-built tower modeled after a Milwaukee Road prototype from one of my modules. The scene is based on a 1950's photography when the tower was largely abandoned when CTC was put in place:

Working off this photograph:

I've been playing around with color blends on the Sliflor grass and this is a mix of "Late Summer and Autumn" Sliflor static grass. There are some buffalo tufts buried in there that lend a more disorganized look to the weeds and grass. It is getting closer to what I'd like to see and I have some ideas on how to add more variation and foliage to the buffalo tufts and static grass.

Fun stuff!

-jamie
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 01:13:40 AM by lashedup »

lashedup

• Crew
    • Model 160
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2008, 11:20:39 PM »
Played around with the longer Buffalo Grass tufts (each box comes with one sheet of short and one sheet of long tufts) to see if I could add some foliage to the ends to vary some of them. I made a small pool of Elmers glue and spread it out a little thin on a piece of paper. Then I turned the tuft sheet upside down and dragged the tips through the glue. Then I dipped the tips in Woodland Scenics yellow or burnt grass fine foam. Makes some interesting variation...

One interesting things I've noticed about the buffalo grass is that the colors are a little different. Spring is the same base light green color as the standard Spring Silflor Prairie Tufts. Summer Buffalo Grass looks more like the Late Summer Prairie Tufts and Late Summer Buffalo Grass is really dark like the Autumn Prairie Tufts. I'll have to pick up some Autumn Buffalo Grass to see what that looks like.

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2008, 12:05:11 AM »
Wow.  Brilliant idea with the glue.  That looks absolutely amazing.
-Mark

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2008, 08:04:14 AM »
The scene is based on a 1950's photography when the tower was largely abandoned when CTC was put in place:

That is a seriously fine scene! Well done!

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2008, 08:50:13 AM »
The Autumn Buffalo tufts are the regular late summer base color tufts with the usual autumn colored tufts (much lighter). ??? ???

...ok, to say it another way, they are like 2mm late summer tufts fused with 4mm autumn tufts.

I love the color variation in The Buffalo Tufts.

lashedup

• Crew
    • Model 160
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2008, 10:26:59 AM »
Thanks for the kind words.

I agree Tom, the Buffalo Tufts are really great.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2008, 11:12:55 AM »
The Autumn Buffalo tufts are the regular late summer base color tufts with the usual autumn colored tufts (much lighter). ??? ???

...ok, to say it another way, they are like 2mm late summer tufts fused with 4mm autumn tufts.

I love the color variation in The Buffalo Tufts.

Interesting. I have the regular late summer and autumn tufts as well. But the Buffalo tufts do look really good. I just ordered some this morning. Yikes! Expensive! Ah, well, it's only money...