Author Topic: Micro Engineering code 40 questions  (Read 2493 times)

Erik W

• Crew
  • Respect: +715
Micro Engineering code 40 questions
« on: February 26, 2008, 03:28:37 PM »
Does anyone know if the wheels on your typical newer Atlas, IMRC and Kato locos are compatible with Micro Engineering code 40 flextrack, or do they hit the spike heads?

Erik

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
Re: Micro Engineering code 40 questions
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 03:36:38 PM »
They are hit and miss.  All the newer Katos work.  LifeLike doesn't.  Some Atlas.

Caleb Austin

• Crew
  • Respect: +522
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 07:53:28 PM »
They are hit and miss.  All the newer Katos work.  LifeLike doesn't.  Some Atlas.

Agreed, most of the cars I've ran work fine, except Botchman and LL.

Erik W

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 10:48:39 PM »
For the wheels that haved to deep a flange, do you think it would be the height of folly to turn my own locomotive wheels in a Dremel?  I'd just use a file on the back side of the wheel while it was spinning in the Dremel.  Would this screw up how the locomotive preformed through a turnout?  Didn't UP Phil try that with the first run of the Athearn challenger?

Erik

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 11:06:59 PM »
I did an Arnold S2 using a hand dill.  Just take your time and measure often and you should be fine.  Remember the contour can be as important as the depth of the flange.  Especially if you're worried about operation through turnouts.

Jason

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 07:16:47 AM »
I think TrainWorx does this for cheap - might be worth it.

Rodneys UP 9000

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 08:08:26 AM »
  I've done 8 CC RR bigboys, 7 CC RR challengers and a bunch of RR mikes and pacifics this way. Like as said before, WACH your contours. I took a piece of .030 brass and machined a profile in it for a contour gauge. Use a set of calipers handy and measure the flange often so you don't go too small. Then file in the contour.
Rodney

Walkercolt

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 09:22:51 PM »
ME Code 40 isn't friendly. Atlas engines may or may not clear the spike heads, Atlas plastic wheels will, the metal ones are a crap-shoot. Most Life-Likes won't clear. MT low-profile wheels work fine as do Fox Valley and Northwest Shortlines low profiles. Making your own turnouts will be a challenge, to make them reliable. All older Con-Cor engines will hit the spikes, don't personally know about the 2-10-2. You can pull-in the gauge on this stuff by breathing on it too heavy, so glue, not spike it down. Looks great, is usually a PITA to operate on. Best of luck with it...you may need it. ::) ???

Caleb Austin

• Crew
  • Respect: +522
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 09:26:23 PM »
ME Code 40 isn't friendly. Atlas engines may or may not clear the spike heads, Atlas plastic wheels will, the metal ones are a crap-shoot. Most Life-Likes won't clear. MT low-profile wheels work fine as do Fox Valley and Northwest Shortlines low profiles. Making your own turnouts will be a challenge, to make them reliable. All older Con-Cor engines will hit the spikes, don't personally know about the 2-10-2. You can pull-in the gauge on this stuff by breathing on it too heavy, so glue, not spike it down. Looks great, is usually a PITA to operate on. Best of luck with it...you may need it. ::) ???

I just use it for spurs and sidings where it won't need a turnout, this may be what Eric is doing to.

Erik W

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 05:59:49 PM »
I just use it for spurs and sidings where it won't need a turnout, this may be what Eric is doing to.

That was my thought.  I may just use the same Atlas code 55 as the rest of the layout and make the spur lower and pile on the ballast to give it the look that it's not the same code as the mainline.

Erik